Thread: error sending request: server name/address could not be resolved

Unhappy error sending request: server name/address could not be resolved

I'm having an issue with my home desktop so I registered on Spybot today from my work laptop. I saved the download file on a memory stick to run it on my desktop. I was told by my ISP to run V1.6.0 and it will search and destroy any spyware however when I try I get:

Error sending request:
    The server name or address could not be resolved.

It is on the updallocator.php (1 of 1) file....

My initial problem is that I cannot connect to the internet although my ISP says I have a connection and my modem is working; we reset the modem and browser together. My MSN and YM both work. IE went down first, then a week later Firefox.... I now have NO internet connection whatsoever.

After turning off the Firewall I still cannot connect so it was suggested that I may have a virus or spyware.

How do I troubleshoot this? I cannot even run this spyware program! Please help me, somebody?
    Last edited by rrroz; 2008-09-08 at 00:49.

Default you were not clear.....

when or where you got this message....Do you mean during the install? If so, uncheck download updates immediately when you go to install. Also, when you open spybot and check for updates, make sure you select your countries area and then click next.

Default during installation

OK, I will try that. Since my initial message I've tried a couple other programs but I have to register to have the program fix them and of course I can't do that without an internet connection. Ugh!

A former colleague is sending me a CD to repair if I have no success with your suggestion. Thanks, I'll be sure to post an update.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

rrroz:

In order to install and update Spybot on a system on a system that is not connected to the internet, you will need to download two files and transfer them to the non-internet connected system.
    1. spybotsd152.exe
    2. spybotsd_includes.exe
      • Located here:

• the item is:
          • Detection updates© 2008-09-03 - product description
            md5: DF4B885F90CCBC2B3BDBD8A237DD459F

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

To install Spybot and update:
    • After downloading and transferring the two (2) programs (spybotsd152.exe and spybotsd_includes.exe) to the non-internet connected system:
      • Execute the installation program spybotsd152.exe.
      • When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
      • After the installation completes execute spybotsd_includes.exe to update Spybot.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Red face I'm scanning!

I am currently at the "Running bot-check" stage!

Thank you for everybody's help. How does one acquire spyware in the first place? I realize if there is not sufficient anti-spyware software installed, things can get downloaded but from where? Where does spyware typically come from? My husband only plays poker online and the "kids" (24 and 15) use You Tube, Facebook, photo sites, music sites, maybe some private chat groups...

Are there sites I can advise not to visit? Would downloading music, videos or photos from the internet include spyware perhaps?

PS: I *am* learning! This is a first for me. I wish I knew more about hardware issues and how to trouble shoot them.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

rrroz:

As a starting point, read:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default still no internet??

Thank you The "how'd I get infected in the 1st place" was very helpful. I read it a few times as I was scanning again and again.

I finally am attempting to follow all the instructions starting with installing Windows updates which completed successfully and prompted me to restart my computer which I did but I still have no internet access (IE cannot display the webpage).

I know my modem and router are online as I can still sign into MSN Messenger as I could before I realized I had viruses and spyware.

Why can I not get access to the internet?

gigigirrl

Default Thank you

It worked

Default no? it's not working

I still have no internet connection. I'm investigating the possibility of a virus affecting my network card - but would I still have MSN messenger access? I cannot access web browsers, external hard drives OR my printer!