Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: allow or deny registry key changes

Lightbulb tell me something....

Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    At least MY Spybot SD has 2 options: "Smart Scan" and "Full Scan" and I have no clue what's the difference. Maybe because I have an old version? I just remembered the last time I scanned took over 5 hours - not "almost 4" as I mentioned previously...It's weird and I wish someone knew why... Adela
    does your spybot program look like the following screenshot?

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/update.html

Just wondering, because i have no idea where you are getting this smart scan and full scan from....I have never seen/heard of that...

OK, found and downloaded updates. Will this keep me from having to make decisions about whether to allow or reject key changes, and if not, how do I decide what to do.

Thankyou for all of your help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    does your spybot program look like the following screenshot?

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/update.html

Just wondering, because i have no idea where you are getting this smart scan and full scan from....I have never seen/heard of that...
    I'm SO sorry, I confused spybot with my Lavasoft's adaware where there are 2 options. Yes, my spybot does look like the screenshot you so kindly sent me, at which point it all came to me. :o)

Would you know where I can post my question for spybot scan taking me over 5 hours? It doesn't sound right does it?

Thanks so much for everything! Adela

Quote Originally Posted by Adela View Post
    Would you know where I can post my question for spybot scan taking me over 5 hours? It doesn't sound right does it?
    Actually, 5 hours isn't that improbable, if you're still running version 1.5. If you are, you really should upgrade to Spybot 1.6--on my machines it averages about 15 times faster.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    OK, found and downloaded updates. Will this keep me from having to make decisions about whether to allow or reject key changes, and if not, how do I decide what to do.
    This thread is confusing because it constantly switches from the member "myrna" and "Adela"...
    Anyways to the point:
    Spybot's Teatimer (1.6.3.25) introduces the use of LASSHes (so it'll act like black&whitelists). The reason that it was introduced so it'll ease the situation where beginners and novice users will have to decide whether to allow or deny prompts from TeaTimer.

myrna, this will not keep you from making decisions, but about a majority of them. If not then around half of them.
    ~
    Adela, the latest version of Spybot-Search&Destroy is 1.6.0.30 (not 1.6.0.0)...

Have you attempted to clear your cache, temp. files, and cookies?
    A good, simple tool is ATF Cleaner that will do a 'all-in-one' job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjdavidson View Post
    Actually, 5 hours isn't that improbable, if you're still running version 1.5. If you are, you really should upgrade to Spybot 1.6--on my machines it averages about 15 times faster.

Hope this helps,
    Jay
    Thank you, jjj, yes, it did that with my 1.5 version. I just updated it to 1.6 and if it will reduce the time it's well worth it. Thanks again! Adela

P.S. To drragostea and myrna: Please accept my apologies for my having "hijacked" this thread when I saw the same problem as mine. I'm done now.

Don't worry about it Adela .
    Upgrading to Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.0.30 should resolve the long scanning time.

Give ATF Cleaner a try to see if it speeds things up.

Good luck.

Oh thank you, drragostea! I didn't notice whether the update I did was the full 1.6.0.30 which you indicate, or just 1.6, but it will still improve. I'd love to give my (very old and very slow) computer a strong cleaning, problem is I never know what to delete and what to leave alone because they might be system files...I'll search ATF Cleaner at Google. Oh, maybe you mean to clean the spybot?

Thanks so much again! Adela

ATF Cleaner is a separate tool to clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your system and browsers. It is irrelevant to Spybot-Search&Destroy.

I do not wish to hijack this thread (conversation ends here and is focused back to member 'myrna'), so I'll have to tell you that if you have any other questions such as "cleaning" and speeding up your system, kindly start your own thread, and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post

Thankyou for all of your help so far.
    drragostea is correct, most likely you do not need to allow or deny many changes, because most known programs teatimer no longer warns about. However, i suggest if you still get alot of prompts from teatimer and do not know how to respond, (or its to confusing) i suggest disabling it.

To disable teatimer: Open spybot-click mode-advanced mode. click yes. click tools-resident. Uncheck teatimer protection over all systems active. Then close spybot, and restart. That will stop the confusing prompts.

@ Adela no problem. post a new thread and drragostea and I can help you if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-10-02 at 15:40.