Thread: Installation error message

Default Installation error message

Upon installing spybot 1.6 I got the following error message . . .

Unable to execute file:
    C:\Program Files\spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
    CreateProcess failed; Code 740
    The requested operation requires evaluation

What does that mean?

If you are running Windows Vista, you'll have to right-click on the installation file (spybot160.exe) and click "Run as Administer". That should resolve your problem.

I got the same error as sluggog when installing version 1.6.

drragostea, I've installed version 1.6, so do I have to uninstall it to proceed with what you stated is a fix for .........Create Process failed;code740?

Thanksabunch!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pgt25:

Although I never personally experienced the problem, just reinstalling without uninstalling seems to have worked for others who did encounter the problem.

Incidentally, the failed program (SDWinSec.exe) is adding Spybot to the Windows Security Center for monitoring.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanx for your answer, as your tag states, learning is another thing........
    So, the program failed and therefore my learning curve leaves me with the question: IS or IS NOT Sypbot being added to the Windows Security Center?
    Should it be added and is it important? Or, can I just leave it the way it is?

Thanx!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pgt25:

If you did not reinstall and execute SDWinSec.exe, I believe that you will find that Spybot is not being monitored by Windows Security Center.

Quote Originally Posted by pgt25 View Post
    … Should it be added and is it important? Or, can I just leave it the way it is? …
    Microsoft added the monitoring of antispyware products to its Vista implementation of Windows Security Center to increase security. PepiMK (Patrick Michael Kolla) had Spybot certified so it could be monitored. It's up to you if you want to take advantage of it being monitored.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.