Thread: problems removing spybot search and destroy

Default problems removing spybot search and destroy

I am having problems removing spybot search and destroy 1.4 . i have tried the control panel and programs way and i keep getting the message;

(file"c/program files/spbot-search &destroy unins000dat" does not exist- Cannot uninstall)

Can any one help
    thanks
    Pete

Lightbulb see here....

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

That will show you how to uninstall spybot if the add/remove programs feature does not work, follow all directions carefully. PS: (use Internet explorer browser for the link)

Also please do not create several threads on your issue. Thanks.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-10-06 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by pb349 View Post
    (file"c/program files/spbot-search &destroy unins000dat" does not exist- Cannot uninstall)
    Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

That will show you how to uninstall spybot if the add/remove programs feature does not work, follow all directions carefully.
    Hate to correct you, 129260, but this time you got wrong. The user said that he/she could not uninstall Spybot-Search&Destroy due to the following error in the quote.

pb349, you'll have to reinstall Spybot-SD over the current one to replace the missing uninstall file. Following that, you can uninstall fully.
    You can download older versions of Spybot-SD from FileHippo:
    http://filehippo.com/download_spybot...h_destroy/148/
    -

Lightbulb ah i see....

i thought that process would still work though.....but ok then.

Hey guys,
    I uninstalled SBSD and now IE won't launch. Has anyone experienced this before? Im pretty sure I unchecked the Tea Timer and the Resident checkboxes, but not 100%. I also searched the registry for the term spybot and deleted all the entries, but I'm thinking my IE installation is corrupt. I then reinstalled IE 7 and it still won't load. You go to launch the executable and a window briefly pops up then disappears. Could the "improper uninstall" cause this, or is it something else.

I also had some spyware that Norton Endpoint caught, but I was able to successfully fix my machine. I uninstalled norton endpoint and put on Norton NIS 2009. So right now i'm trying to figure out which of these actions killed my IE.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. I've put NIS on a few other machines and IE works just fine.

Thanks,

Philip

Sorry, I meant to add that I believe I was running version 1.4? Also, Mozilla Firefox is running just fine.

Thank you,

Philip
    Last edited by fairlane; 2008-10-10 at 21:21.

i thought that process would still work though.....but ok then.
    I've had that error before,and that is what I did to remove Spybot,without the add/remove programs part,of course.I would assume either way would work.

Quote Originally Posted by fairlane
    Hey guys,
    I uninstalled SBSD and now IE won't launch. Has anyone experienced this before? Im pretty sure I unchecked the Tea Timer and the Resident checkboxes, but not 100%. I also searched the registry for the term spybot and deleted all the entries, but I'm thinking my IE installation is corrupt. I then reinstalled IE 7 and it still won't load. You go to launch the executable and a window briefly pops up then disappears. Could the "improper uninstall" cause this, or is it something else.

I also had some spyware that Norton Endpoint caught, but I was able to successfully fix my machine. I uninstalled norton endpoint and put on Norton NIS 2009. So right now i'm trying to figure out which of these actions killed my IE.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. I've put NIS on a few other machines and IE works just fine.

Thanks,Philip
    Do you have Spybot installed again?

Zenobia,
    Thanks for replying. Just to update, I was able to get IE working just fine again, by accessing the Internet Options icon from the control panel and resetting IE to it's defaults under the Advanced Tab. All my favorites were still there which was good.

Just to answer your question though, no I did not reinstall spybot. I never thought of trying that, I will have to keep that in mind. Thank you..

Thanks for your help.

Fairlane
    "Marriage is the triumph of the imagination over intelligence"..

You're welcome.Glad you got IE working again.
    I just asked if you installed spybot again,because I wanted to see if the IE problem was spyware related,so was going to get you to scan with that.

If you do decide to reinstall Spybot,there is a newer version available,if you were running Spybot 1.4:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html