Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System requirements for Spybot 1.6 vs 1.4

Default System requirements for Spybot 1.6 vs 1.4

Spybot 1.6 works better than 1.5.2 (ouch, it crashed the graphics card.). But I found that my system resources could not handle 1.6 either. I deleted 1.6 exe and overlayed 1.4.

1.4 Works fine except for one file: trojans.sbi 10/15/08 1.39PM has a problem. Scan hangs until I click OK regarding it. As did the privious file.

My system has a 900Mhz Celeron III, 256 Mb RAM.
    Last edited by PaulWin98SE; 2008-10-16 at 22:36.
    256Mb RAM, 900 Mhz Celeron III CPU
    Browser: Opera 9.62 (best)
    Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.17 (favorite)
    Browser: Internet Explorer 5.5 (default)

Lightbulb Hmmm....

that should be plenty of ram, etc. for 1.6, did you use teatimer when using 1.6? Older versions are no longer supported, see here for the reason.

You should be able to run the latest version no problem, lets work together so we can get it working. Have you tried complete removal and install again? see here for COMPLETE removal instructions.

PaulWin98SE:
    The reason that you are receiving the "Trojans.sbi" error is because you are using a dated version of Spybot-Search&Destroy.

With 256MB of RAM, there should be no problems running the latest version of Spybot-SD (1.6.0.30). As an anecdote, Spybot-SD 1.6 could run on a Windows ME with 64MB of RAM .

Spybot-SD itself, the scanning, does not use any memory. However, it is it's Resident Shield TeaTimer that uses memory. Of course, you can always leave it off and use Spybot strictly as a malware scanner.

Esteemed Member

As PaulWin98SE already stated, his problem is with resources, not memory. If you don't understand the difference than you never dealt with the Win9x operating system family.

In Windows 9x, there were resource pools limited to a maximum of 64 KB which couldn't be changed. Win ME increased these to 128 KB as I recall, so it would be more likely to still work, though it had other issues. This was true no matter how much memory you added to the computer. See this old SYSTEM RESOURCES FAQ for a complete explanation.
    http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

This is why I've stated that Spybot S&D is nearing the end of its useful life on Windows 9x, since eventually it will become almost impossible to make it run.

Since the Windows 9x family has had no update support from Microsoft since mid-2006 and virtually none from anyone else, it's basically a dead OS. This also means that the OS can't be made secure no matter what you do, since there have been dozens of exploits discovered in the Windows OS in the last two years that undoubtedly affect Win9x, but haven't been patched or even tested.

The best thing you could do for this PC is upgrade it to Windows XP if you can still get it, since it has none of these resource limitations. Only Win XP Professional is still available though, so this might be cost prohibitive if you can even find it.

I'm running Avast! 4.8 and Spybot S&D 1.6 /w Teatimer on a PII 400MHz w/512MB RAM & Windows 2000, which though slow at times still operates in a perfectly stable manner.

Bitman

Bitman, then isn't a machine's resources also include the memory? Please explain.

And I've used Spybot-SD on a Windows ME (Windows 9x).

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Bitman, then isn't a machine's resources also include the memory? Please explain.

And I've used Spybot-SD on a Windows ME (Windows 9x).
    On Windows 9x/ME, resources are what I described above and though they are a small portion of memory they are very specific, so they are not really affected by adding memory to the PC.

This changed with Windows NT, since these memory pools were no longer limited, so in effect ALL of memory could be used for these resource pools. So in effect you could say that all of memory are now resources, but in reality the original concept from Windows 9x/ME no longer exists.

The reason for the 9x limitations was for older 16-bit MS-DOS programs, so it also really has no purpose anymore. This is why the 9x OS is basically dead, since we're now in the transition from 32 to 64-bit.

Bitman

I have no plans of not using Windows 98SE. I do have plans to upgrade Windows Me to XP (different hard drive.)

I plan on making the computer dual boot. 98 & Me and then upgrade Me partition to XP.

What I did to "patch" my Spybot was install 1.6 and then delete the one spybot exe file and reinstall 1.4 over it. So yes the 1.6.0.30 teatimer is running and works very well.

What I had discoverd early on, is installing 1.4 over 1.5.2 didn't change anything. I had to delete one file to make the overlay work. And it did.

My other option was to totally uninstall and reinstall 1.4 saving the 1.5 teatimer to place in folder replacing the 1.4 teatimer. 1.4 wants to upgrade to 1.6.

I will just let it do so. And go from there.

Yes I have plenty of memory running 1.6. But the system resources are less than 12%. (1.5.2 crashed system.)

What I may do is shutdown select back ground programs, such as anti-virus to run Spybot 1.6. And use the Teatimer with anti-virus program running when on line to down load updates.

The real time work the teatimer does is great. Running Windows 98SE I have two other security programs along with the Teatimer. And the Teatimer is usually first in telling me of a problem or valid changes to registry.
    Last edited by PaulWin98SE; 2008-10-21 at 21:30.

Spybot 1.6 is now back on my system. Because it indiscriminately exceeds system resources without warning, I must do updates through the teatimer only. If the updates launch Spybot the system, will warn of the low recouces, but then it is already too late. System is locked up. Only the mouse works. Not even the keyboard. Have to do a hard shutdown (the hard drives are not even being accessed!)

I think, what Spybot needs is its own smart system resource manager. Where it will not launch what needs more recouces than are available. Just give a useful or helpful message how it might be done. Or maybe somehow have Spybot fix the problem within itself. Running a little slower, if need be, but getting the job done.

Spybot 2.0 will be friendlier to your resources

Structured into multiple apps for multiple functions (properly integrated so you won't notice) - only those that you currently need will be in memory. For oxample, the "tools" available in advanced mode are not really required to be loaded while scanning, so they're in a sped-up version of RunAlyzer integrated into the package now.

Right now the pure 2.0 scanner uses about half as much memory and a tenth of the number of User objects and GDI objects (the "classical" "resource" items that matter on 98) compared to the 1.6 SpybotSD.exe.

These are not final numbers - the user interface is still missing a few elements, but it's a direction of hope
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Awesome :)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Spybot 2.0 will be friendlier to your resources

Structured into multiple apps for multiple functions (properly integrated so you won't notice) - only those that you currently need will be in memory. For oxample, the "tools" available in advanced mode are not really required to be loaded while scanning, so they're in a sped-up version of RunAlyzer integrated into the package now.

Right now the pure 2.0 scanner uses about half as much memory and a tenth of the number of User objects and GDI objects (the "classical" "resource" items that matter on 98) compared to the 1.6 SpybotSD.exe.

These are not final numbers - the user interface is still missing a few elements, but it's a direction of hope
    I can't wait for that gift to come