Thread: Avast, SpyBot and Defender are all running. should I stop defender?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Avast, SpyBot and Defender are all running. should I stop defender?

Hi all,

I run Vista x64.

I have Avast, Windows Defender and Spybot installed at the same time.

Should i stop avast's malware function and windows defender from running since I installed Spybot?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonm View Post
    Should i stop avast's malware function and windows defender from running since I installed Spybot?
    Hello nelsonm. In fact, disabling them will make your computer even more vulnerable. Do not take Spybot-Search&Destroy's TeaTimer (Resident Shield) as a feature that will protect you from opening malicious files or that sorts. TeaTimer is real-time that will monitor critical areas of your registry (that is what makes it unique). avast! and Windows Defender have already given your computer protection and hardened it's defenses.

To better understand how Spybot protects you (includes TeaTimer), please read this thread by md usa spybot fan:
    How does Spybot-SD protect against the installation of malware/spyware.

Ok, great!

I will look at post.

I only brought it up because of what most say about not having multiple anti-virus or firewalls up on the same computer. I thought that the spyware/malware components of - Avast, SpyBot and Defender - may conflict with each other.
    Last edited by nelsonm; 2008-10-24 at 15:54.

Well, Spybot-Search&Destroy's Resident Shield is an exception. To make it clear, a anti-spyware and a anti-virus Resident Shield will not conflict, but two of the same types will increase the chances of conflicting.