Thread: S&D stopped deleting temp files

Default S&D stopped deleting temp files

In the past, when Spybot loaded, it prompted to delete temp files. Today, I had a trouble-shooting session with Symantec tech re: NIS issue. After he was done "fixing" my system, this feature no longer shows when I start S&D. I don't know if he changed a setting somewhere. Can't figure out how to turn it back on. I am suspicious that he changed something, because he wanted me to remove S&D from my computer. Said it was conflicting with NIS. I refused, because the two programs have co-existed on my computer for some time without problem.

Any advice????

Hello,

If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.

To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\

Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used. Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\

Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pmikkelsen:

The default threshold for Spybot notifying you about the deleting of temporary files is one hundred (100) temporary files. If the number of temporary files falls below that threshold, Spybot will no longer issue that notification.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pmikkelsen View Post
    In the past, when Spybot loaded, it prompted to delete temp files. Today, I had a trouble-shooting session with Symantec tech re: NIS issue. After he was done "fixing" my system, this feature no longer shows when I start S&D. I don't know if he changed a setting somewhere. Can't figure out how to turn it back on. I am suspicious that he changed something, because he wanted me to remove S&D from my computer. Said it was conflicting with NIS. I refused, because the two programs have co-existed on my computer for some time without problem.

Any advice????
    As I understand it, the feature has moved. It no longer occurs when Spybot is opened, but at the start of the scan.

That's only in beta versions
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)