Thread: spybot wiped temp files. are they recoverable?

Default spybot wiped temp files. are they recoverable?

i'm new to spybot. i just installed and ran spybot 1.6. all of a sudden a popup came up asking if i wanted to delete my temp files. before i could click no it automatically did it anyway. i did not wish for that to happen. is there a way to retrieve those files? also is there a way to disable this automatic feature to prevent it from happening again? any help would be great. thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

fudgeout:

There is no way that I know of to recover those files unless you have an independent backup.

Temporary (.tmp) files are normally created and deleted by processes regularly. However, because programming defects or failed processes, temporary files have a tendency to accumulate over time and should be cleaned up periodically.

There is a registry tweak to disable the temporary folder cleaning (DisableTempFolderCleaning). The original documentation for this and other registry tweaks is in wiki.spybot.info at this URL:

Also see post #7 in this thread:

Also note: Besides disabling the function you can set the threshold of the number of temporary files that are needed to be present on your system before the message is triggered as well as the time before the messages automatically defaults to cleaning those temporary files. See the original documentation for this and other registry tweaks is in wiki.spybot.info at this URL:

The items are:

Additionally, because of concerns with this feature, future releases of Spybot appear that they may contain enhanced options concerning the clearing of temporary files.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.