Thread: I am new to Spybot.

Question I am new to Spybot.

Hello, I am a little new to Spybot. I have it set up on 'Default'. I am up to date with updates & it works & scans fine. However when I experimentally changed it from default mode to advanced a pop up appeared with a warning that I might damage my computer if I proceeded. I chickened out & went back to the default mode. I am just curious about what the advanced mode does. I am no expert with anti-spyware. Is it safe for me to just open the advanced menu to look at it without changing anything?

It is just curiosity, I like to learn new things. Mind you, you know what they said curiosity did to the cat!
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-11-06 at 21:02. Reason: Moved from the Tavern ;)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Davebot17:

There are extra features made available when you go into advanced mode that can, if misused, cause problems on your system. That is the reason that the warning is issued. On the other hand these features can be very handy.

When you go into Advanced mode no settings are automatically changed. You can go into Advanced mode and return to Default mode without any problems.

As a start, I would like to suggest that you go into Advanced mode and click "Yes" on the Warning message. As soon as you go into Advanced mode, three additional category buttons appear in the left pane of the Spybot screen. They are Settings, Tools and Info & License.

Click Settings. The Settings list will expand and a list of individually Settings categories appears. Then click each of the individually categories one at a time, look at the screen and click Help on each.

Remember that if you don't alter anything in the screens themselves, you have not changed the way anything operates.

By repeating this process through Settings, Tools and Info & License you will get an understanding of what Advanced mode offers. Note: when you first go into Tools not all the categories are necessarily checked so all the possible categories may not appear in the left pane. To see each category under Tools you can either check all the categories in the right pane or after viewing one category click Tools in the left pane and click a category button in the right pane without checking it.

Post back with any specific questions that you have or any features that you would like explained more fully.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

OK, thanks for that.