Thread: New malware/spyware - audio ads

Default New malware/spyware - audio ads

hey guys,

anyone else been hit with some new audio ad that randomly comes on? in summary, my computer will often launch some "congradulations, you've been selected for a free nano etc." ad.

While looking at the applications, nothing is running. Once, I did see an IE browser running in the applications but it was not on my screen/or taskbar.

Mostly, it comes on every few min or so and through the speakers. I've run spybot but nothing comes up, i/e it's not being detected.

what the hell is this, and how can i locate and remove it?

thanks,

Hi there,

A definitive answer can't be given without a log being analysed.

If you would like someone to take a look at the system, please follow the procedure in this link:
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where a helper will advise you when available.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Banner ads lately have become increasingly aggressive I've noticed. It must be a byproduct of the bad economy. They didn't used to have audio. Now, I hear all the time: "Congratulations, you've won..." These aggresive banner ads are part of the rotation. So who knows what percentage. A couple of times, my Norton was triggered by these ads - attempting to open a Flash window (I think). I never had one run without the site being loaded though. But you know what, I haven't heard one lately. Maybe enough people complained. Or maybe I just haven't been using the internet lately due to malware.

Have patience if you have time to start a Malware thread. I did and I just might be cured now!

What you are hearing are NetAudio Ads, which play every now and then when you visit a website that has embedded their JavaScript code in a web page. The ads are harmless and are meant to bring commissions to the owners of the websites running them.

If you browse the Internet using Firefox you can install the NoScript! plug-in and it will block such ads unless you whitelist the advertiser's domain in the options.
    Submitted IMHO, by Wiz!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizcrafts View Post
    What you are hearing are NetAudio Ads, which play every now and then when you visit a website that has embedded their JavaScript code in a web page. The ads are harmless and are meant to bring commissions to the owners of the websites running them.
    stingfish may be hearing the NetAudio Ads and could try the the NoScript! plug-in before considering a visit to the malware removal forum.

A banner ad exploit came up on photobucket fairly recently starting with, "congratulations you have won a nano".

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    stingfish may be hearing the NetAudio Ads and could try the the NoScript! plug-in before considering a visit to the malware removal forum.

A banner ad exploit came up on photobucket fairly recently starting with, "congratulations you have won a nano".
    Tashi;
    Thanks for clarifying that. This indicates that Flash ads may be loaded with audio messages used to induce victims to click though to hostile websites or downloads. I will watch the Trend Blog for any info about these ads and the probable payloads.
    Submitted IMHO, by Wiz!

thanks fellas,

im headed over to start up a malware removal thread. wish me luck!