Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Deceptive Marketing

Default About Deceptive Marketing

Hello,

Take a look here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWARE

The "Today only Scheme" is prevailing more than 2 years! It virtually forces the viewers to immediately buy the software via credit card, by providing fraud information. I think the image should either be blocked via Host file or adding it to the restricted zone.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-11-27 at 17:36. Reason: disabled link and made it copy and paste :-)

That behaviour is indeed illegal in Europe. Not sure about the U.S.

Wait... what did I just read on that website, in the Company profile? Its founder was founder of PanicWare, Inc. as well? The same popup blocker company PanicWare that distributed pirated Spybot-S&D copies as their own some five years ago?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

OH MAN!!! That's a horrid news! Shouln't a legal action be taken against them?

Have you analysed SAS's behavior deeply, and found anything malicious? I'm sure they are hiding something from the customers.
    Last edited by xpsunny; 2008-11-27 at 13:12.

Well, it's usually consumer protection associations who take action there. Direct competitors are entitled to file improper competition as well, but we probably have neither the time nor would we want to waste money on taking action against a U.S. company in Europe

Btw, "raising" the price only to offer a discount is also illegal. Naming a regular price of $59.90 just to offer a rebate, while it obviously is only $29.95, is improper as well.

And bad advertising... just a week ago I received spam from PC Tools... many are currently stepping slightly over borders I'm afraid

When there is a war between the good and the evil, the good always wins--it's a universal law.

You have power to at least use your software to tap such deceptive evils.

You certainly can either block such stuff via host file or via immunization. There has to be a start from somewhere. Why not you guys take the initiative!

Superantispyware is, from everything I've ever read about it, an excellent anti-spyware program that excels at detecting and removing the worst stuff (Virtumonde, rogue AVs, etc.). I know their name is...an interesting choice for a real anti-spyware program and the main site seems a little strange with the typos and what you already mentioned, but a lot of people say it's excellent, though I don't use it myself.
    Last edited by voltra; 2008-11-28 at 17:27.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    That behaviour is indeed illegal in Europe. Not sure about the U.S.

Wait... what did I just read on that website, in the Company profile? Its founder was founder of PanicWare, Inc. as well? The same popup blocker company PanicWare that distributed pirated Spybot-S&D copies as their own some five years ago?
    Panicware NEVER distributed Spybot, or any other product illegally. We actually worked with SpyBot and provided you lots of advertising, downloads, t-shirts, etc. etc. You are confusing Panicware with the other couple of companies that tried to modify and steal your engine/database years ago.

XPSunny is trying to slander SUPERAntiSpyware because he/she was banned from our forum for submitting legit programs such as SpyBot as "malware" so we would include it in our definitions to falsely remove it. Now that he/she has been banned, they are posting on all security forums. We have legal action started in India to handle this with XPSunny.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Well, it's usually consumer protection associations who take action there. Direct competitors are entitled to file improper competition as well, but we probably have neither the time nor would we want to waste money on taking action against a U.S. company in Europe

Btw, "raising" the price only to offer a discount is also illegal. Naming a regular price of $59.90 just to offer a rebate, while it obviously is only $29.95, is improper as well.

And bad advertising... just a week ago I received spam from PC Tools... many are currently stepping slightly over borders I'm afraid
    SUPERAdBlocker sells for $29.95 and SUPERAntiSpyware sells for $29.95 == $59.90 - we are offering the BUNDLE together for $29.95, thus 50% off - nothing illegal is being done there, that is a discount of 50%.

You actually worked with us... until you started to renamed Spybot-S&D to "PanicWare Spyware Remover" or something similar, which caused a very similar confusion among users that the "modifying" companies did.

Sorry about the pricing confusion! The initial violation still stands though (for Europe, can't say anything about the U.S.): offering a "one day only" deal when its available for months actually is illegal here. But as I said before, it's the kind of illegal marketing everyone seems to do these days - of a "low" kind, like getting ads in your mailbox even though you've printed "no ads" on it or like grocery stores advertising something very cheap to lure customers to their place and then telling people their limited stores are already emptied, while they're required to sell the advertised thing for at least three businness days for the advertised price. Cases where you usually pay a fine of around 50k to 300k.

I'm more inclined to fight the bad guys though, that's why I already said I would leave such things to consumer protection agencies