Thread: Problem with "Compress Old Files" in Windows XP

Default Problem with "Compress Old Files" in Windows XP

I have Windows XP on one of my computers, and whenever I tried to run Disk Cleanup, it would get stuck at "compress old files." So, using this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248, I was finally able to work around it and get Disk Cleanup working.

However, I am wondering if there is another way that I can still delete the "compress old files" without Disk Cleanup? I'm trying to clear junk off that computer since it's getting slower.

"Compress old files" is an option to compress files which haven't been used for 60 days ago (default). Those files will be highlighted in blue (default). You can still access those files when they are compressed.

About clearing junk, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp. (To find Local Settings folder, you will have to clear checkbox "Hide protected system operating files (Recommended)" and confirm an warning when you clear the checkbox, and Apply it.
    %USERNAME% is your name in logging.
    Those files which are here shouldn't be required. You can delete them all (try to include hidden files). If some files cannot be removed, leave them alone. Next time ignore them or try again.

The other folder is C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\My Recent Documents (Note: The real name of the folder is Recent, but you will see that the folder is named My Recent Documents.)
    This will clear My Recent Documents list in Start menu. You can delete all shortcuts, but don't remove desktop.ini file! There won't be a warning that you are removing it.

For preformance improvement, try to defragment your disks by using Disk Defragmenter. You can find on the internet for alternatives like Auslogics Disk Defragmenter and if there are some programs which are idle and you don't need them currently, you can close them.

Thanks! I will try that out.

Thumbs up

For a good, reliable, trusted privacy and junk cleaner, try CCleaner (although, just stay away from the registry tab - more info about that: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038)

Season's Greetings