Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for something very basic.

Default Suggestion for something very basic.

I've been using Spybot S&D since longer than I can remember. It's really excellent software, and I'm genuinely impressed that it's offered free to the public. Everybody I know also uses it, too!

But there's something that puzzles me and that I cannot REALLY answer well. I get asked about this often, and I'd appreciate hearing how others answer it.

As with all of my security programs, I run similar programs. Basic redundancy.

In the case of Spybot S&D, the twin program in AdAware.

Both Spybot and AdAware check for something like 350,000 bots (and maybe others, too). I run them both each week on each computer.

Spybot needs about an hour and runs my computer in excess of 50% of its CPU capacity. AdAware runs in about 20 minutes and never runs the CPU up over 20 or 25%. Originally, I just assumed that Spybot was covering a lot more ground, but I always select the most thorough, comprehensive scan options for these programs.

Frankly, I cannot figure out why Spybot runs so long and hot. I usually suggest that it must be searching more thoroughly, but, frankly, that's just spin. The correct answer here is that I don't know.

[As for search results, I don't think either Spybot or AdAware has found anything on my personal machine other than the MRIs generated by my own software. On other machines that I've been asked to review, Spybot and AdAware have earned their keep equally. Oddly, they *never* both find the same bot.]

Thanks for your time with this.

And, about the original suggestion I mentioned, . . . I'd suggest that the folks at Spybot include a bit of the explanation as to what-all is going on that demands the high relative computer usage.
    Last edited by star.aether; 2009-01-01 at 02:05. Reason: Something left out.

Maybe setting your scan priority to Highest will make a difference. I emphasize maybe. I'm not even sure what the default setting is... just that I have the priority set on Highest and my scans are faster and use a lot less resources. Check it out --> Advanced Mode\Settings\Scan priority.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Default I tried that.

Sure, setting the priority up gets the job done faster when Spybot is competing with other programs for CPU time, but that's not really a problem.

I don't mind all that much that Spybot takes so long to do its job. I just wonder WHY Spybot needs so long.

I'm GUESSING that somebody's going to tell me that Spybot is doing a whole lot more checking than AdAware, and so, naturally, Spybot will need more time. I'm quite ready to hear that Spybot needs the time for a reason or reasons that will make me glad that Spybot runs so long.

But I'm curious as what the heck is going on. And I think others would genuinely appreciate seeing this info included with the next edition (in very brief form).

Thanks,

Andy

This is will be very brief.

The Scan Priority should be set to Normal as default when Spybot is installed.

I just need a few things. What version of Spybot are you running? Older versions of Spybot can sometimes longer during a scan, because it is just simply dated.

There are other variables such as system resources and what other programs and services are running that may be could be responsible for the scanning time (other programs/services may take a share in the systems resources, so the scanning time for Spybot may vary). But we should stick with the first guess first.

Thanks.

As for the number of detected things, that quite difficult to count and compare really, see my explanation here. The fingerprint count (above a million) might be nearer to the actual number of things detected, but still not absolute. Comparing counts is far from easy comparing of numbers

As to the methods it uses, I've recently blogged about the various scan methods and their advantages and disadvantages. The break-even point in performance between the to models is influenced by the number of files on an actual system as well.

2.0 will be a bit faster again, right now its something like 40%.

Speed is a constant struggle
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by star.aether View Post
    Spybot needs about an hour and runs my computer in excess of 50% of its CPU capacity. AdAware runs in about 20 minutes and never runs the CPU up over 20 or 25%. Originally, I just assumed that Spybot was covering a lot more ground, but I always select the most thorough, comprehensive scan options for these programs.

Frankly, I cannot figure out why Spybot runs so long and hot. I usually suggest that it must be searching more thoroughly, but, frankly, that's just spin. The correct answer here is that I don't know.
    Adware:
    - scans all files on your hard disk

The scan speed of AdAware is limited by (among other things)
    1) all the files on your pc
    2) your operating system
    3) your cpu and ram

Spybot:
    - scans for Spyware on special locations on your hard disk

The scan speed of Spybot is limited by (among other things)
    2) your operating system
    3) your cpu and ram

I guess that you don't have much files on your pc. Moreover, I guess that you don't have a "good" cpu, whatever "good" here means... Theese things could be a good reason why Spybot takes so much longer than Ad-Aware.

Scan time in my case (Windows XP SP3, Dual Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM):
    Spybot: 13 minutes 40 seconds, 35% cpu capacity
    Ad-Aware: 35 Minutes 56 seconds, 28% cpu capacity

For faster scanning and lower cpu capacity, please make sure, that you de-activate your anti-virus guard before scanning.

Perhaps this information can help you.
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-01-04 at 10:11.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    2.0 will be a bit faster again, right now its something like 40%.
    40% sounds very good to me. It would be interesting which operating system/cpu/ram you use. Otherwise, it's hard to compare with other systems.
    For example:
    On Vista with 4 GB of Ram and 4 x 3,0 GHz the scan time could be 40% faster. But on Windows 2000, 512MB of Ram and 1 x 2,0 GHz... I don't think that the scan time can be reduced by 40% there. Or do you test your 2.0 preAlpha with all operating systems ??
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-01-04 at 10:17.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Default To drragostea . . .

Thanks for your reply.

I'm running Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20.

If there's anything significant about my using this version, I'd appreciate knowing that. But I'm guessing that this is pretty much up-to-date, as I always let Spybot download/update whatever it likes.

But my guess is that the issues in the replies that came after yours are where the answers are found.

Best regards,

Andy

Default To PepiMK . . .

Thank you for the links to your earlier postings.

I read through those quickly, and what I'm hearing--speaking very broadly--is that I really can't be sure that I'm comparing apples to apples when I talk about how Spybot and AdAware both check the same number of items. I'm not surprised.

I'm also hearing that, regardless of what any other program may be doing, Spybot is definitely needing all of its minutes to examine my computer.

Now, let me try to clarify a couple of things, just a little.

I do NOT object to however long Spybot runs.

I just work around it. It's not a problem that the smallest bit of planning won't solve completely.

And, since Spybot is using all of those minutes to help me, well, Spybot can run half the night, for all I care. (I only run Spybot once every week or two.)

My original posting was simply my curiosity about *why* Spybot ran so much longer than AdAware. Now, I understand that I don't really have any basis to assume that the 2 programs might run for about the same length of time.

And, just so you'll know, I think I appreciate why your Marketing folks might be antsy about the time needed to run Spybot. But I can't help but think that a huge majority of Spybot's users would be perfectly fine with the longer run times if you added even the briefest reference suggesting that the time is well-invested.

It might work just to add something like, "Spybot: The one that takes the time to do it right--to check every last thing."

Basically, I think we just want a bit of reassurance that the run time is well-spent and not the result of inefficient coding.

My best regards to all of the folks at Spybot S&D.

Andy

Hello again star.

Well, I've identified the problem. You see, dated versions of Spybot tend to run longer during scans... The latest version is Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 not 1.5.x.

Upgrading to the latest version (download it below), should resolve the slow scanning time:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -
    Just be sure to uninstall Spybot 1.5.2.20, reboot, and execute the installer for 1.6.0.

Keep us posted.