Thread: Spybot won't recognize Administrator status

Default Spybot won't recognize Administrator status

64 bit Vista on Sony Viao Laptop. When I press the button to Fix Selected Problems I get a message saying that the problems could not be fixed because I am not an Administrator. I am logged on as Administrator and have no problems with other software or actions that require administrator status. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, even downloaded the installation software from three different sites and installed that, but the problem remains. Could not find this in the FAQ area; any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

hwest:

In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order run certain things within Spybot-S&D with the current version.

There are several ways to do that:
    • Elevate the administrative rights for a single running:
      • Instead of double clicking (left clicking) to start Spybot, right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    • Permanently elevate.
      • If you are running Spybot from a desktop shortcut for example, right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties.
      • Then go into Application Compatibility and select "Run As administrator".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Lightbulb

It IS in the FAQ under the title "How can I get Administrator rights under Windows Vista?"
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!