Thread: Hijack This and Spybot will not run.

Default Hijack This and Spybot will not run.

My browser is being hijacked when I search. I cannot get HijackThis or Spybot to run in order to find the problem. I have tried downloading and reinstalling Spybot. I have not been able to run them in safe mode either.

Hello,

Please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and give details such as your operating system, and any other information that may be useful for helpers to know.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\, make sure Explorer is showing hidden file (menu Tools -> Folder Options -> tab View -> checkbox group Hidden files and folders, uncheck checkbox Hide protected operating system files).

You should be able to see some files with random names then in that folder. Pick the one with the same icon as SpybotSD.exe and try to run that (it's a backup for cases where malware blocks running the original by name).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\, make sure Explorer is showing hidden file (menu Tools -> Folder Options -> tab View -> checkbox group Hidden files and folders, uncheck checkbox Hide protected operating system files).

You should be able to see some files with random names then in that folder. Pick the one with the same icon as SpybotSD.exe and try to run that (it's a backup for cases where malware blocks running the original by name).
    Sometimes, this doesn't help too: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=43166

This "backdoor.Tidserv" (called by Norton-Antivirus) blocks Spybot, combofix and Hijackthis; seems to be very aggressive. I hope it will be added to the database. It's dangerous out there...
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-01-08 at 22:53.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

I ran the file with the same icon and size as suggested. This worked great. I get an error asking me to run the automatic updater or to run it manually. I have run the updater in the application and it seems to have successfully updated and now tells me there are no new updates, yet I get that error every time I run the search for problems. Actually, the message asks me to install the updates.
    Last edited by srogers8989; 2009-01-08 at 23:12. Reason: Re checked error message.

Default Need to close thread.

Thanks for all of your help on this. I have now succeeded in running Spybot and Hijack this so will start a thread in Malware Removal. I need to close this thread but have not been able to figure out how to do that.

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016