Thread: Unable to immunise hosts file

Default Unable to immunise hosts file

Spybot does not immunise all the entries for the hosts file. when i try to delete the file, windows tell me that it is in use. i may not add/delete entries manually also.

how do i make spybot immunise all entries for the hosts file?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

theChameleon:

Are you running any security software such as STOPzilla, ZoneAlarm, etc. that may be locking the HOSTS file?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    theChameleon:

Are you running any security software such as STOPzilla, ZoneAlarm, etc. that may be locking the HOSTS file?
    im using Avast antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall.

stopping these processes does not enable me to immunise, or delete the hosts file.

theChameleon:

I no longer run ZoneAlarm, but this is way to unlock the HOSTS file from about two years ago.

Double click on the ZoneAlarm system tray icon to bring up the ZoneAlarm Control Center > Firewall (left pane) > Main (tab in the right pane) > Advanced (button at the bottom) > uncheck Lock hosts file > click OK. Then immunize the HOSTS file.

Note: You can relock the HOSTS file when you're done immunizing.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    theChameleon:

I no longer run ZoneAlarm, but this is way to unlock the HOSTS file from about two years ago.

Double click on the ZoneAlarm system tray icon to bring up the ZoneAlarm Control Center > Firewall (left pane) > Main (tab in the right pane) > Advanced (button at the bottom) > uncheck Lock hosts file > click OK. Then immunize the HOSTS file.

Note: You can relock the HOSTS file when you're done immunizing.

ah! silly me. now that u mentioned it, yeah, i remember that i locked the hosts file a long time ago to prevent malicious programs from writing stuff there. omg.

thanks again!

theChameleon:

I assume that you are all set now and that you were able to "... immunise all the entries for the hosts file ..." after unlocking the host file in ZoneAlarm.

Let us know if you have any more problems.