Thread: 2 entries to Spybot S&D on Software Add/Remove control panel

Question 2 entries to Spybot S&D on Software Add/Remove control panel

Hello. I'm back to the forums!
    My SpyBot - Search & Destroy has been updated from within the program to version 1.6.0.31. Today I checked my Software Add/Remove Control Panel and verified that it lists two entries for this program, and none of them includes 1.6.0.31 in the name. They are: "Spybot - Search and Destroy" size 22.29MB and "Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20" size 47.70MB. That raises a few similar questions:
    • Are those 2 entries necessary? Why does the Windows CP list 2 entries instead of one single entry?
    • Are the 2 versions installed simultaneously in the system, or one of them is displaying the size erroneously and is in fact "empty"?
    • I suppose the first one would be the one corresponding to my actual version. Should I safely uninstall the other one through Software Add/Remove Control Panel?

I'd like to get some guidance on this, if possible.

Side Note: Few time ago, I also had more than one entry for Java(TM) 6 listed simultaneously in my Add/Remove Control Panel, one for Update 11 and the other(s) for previous update(s). Each of them occupied nearly 100MB on disk. When I noticed that, I uninstalled previous version(s) through the Add/Remove CP, which left only one entry on Add/Remove CP, apparently without any subsequent Java malfunctions.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Port_H:

I suggest that you do not attempt to remove the extra entry via Add or Remove programs. That is likely to uninstall Spybot. To eliminate the extra entry:

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
    1. The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
    2. The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins00x.exe of where you installed the software (normally C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy).

If both entries have those features, than delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Solved

Thank you, md. Sorry, but I have opted to remove the extra entry -"Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20"- uninstalling it via the 'Add or Remove programs' CP to see what happened. Then tried to start the program and verified it starts OK without errors, hence I assume it wasn't uninstalled unlike you thought. Problem solved.

About the 'Uninstall info' tool of Spybot -S&D, the entries there seemed rather disorganized, they're not sorted alphabetically like those in the 'Add or Remove programs' CP: the 2 entries for Spybot - Search and Destroy were rather distant from each other, and I had to look thorough all the entries until I found both. Could this be corrected in later updates or one option added to sort it by name? I thought this tool could be used to uninstall software, but apparently it only removes the uninstall information of both the existing programs and the no longer existing programs, so it must be used with caution. Isn't it so?
    Last edited by Port_H; 2009-01-18 at 18:48.