Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half dozen Trojans

Default Next to last post, I hope.

Hi, Peku006; I have spent the last few hours doing the things I do on the computer just to check. All seems to be well, Thank You.
    I currently have SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, & McAfee (from Comcast). I update everytime I use them. Do you think I need more? If so which one or ones? Should I dump Ad-Aware in favor of another? Should I keep MalwarebytesA-M? Which ones work best together? I hear horror stories about conflicting virus scanners
    I scan dailey or more and have been very lucky. This is the second time in over fifteen years that I have caught something that I couldn't get rid of on my own and I am way not an expert. This forum fixed it last time too, Thanks to whoever that was.
    I forgot MVPS. I will do that now. The tutorial will tell me what Host files are, I hope. ( that is why I rely on on you and your ilk so much).
    Is MS automatic updates enough or should I be going to thier site and looking?

I have read Mr. Klein's article more than once and I do follow his advice, pretty much. Can't always though, and still have any fun. I still have not figured out where I got this batch of troubles or I would tell you.

Again, Thanks MUCH for your help, Harold

Emeritus- Security Expert peku006's Avatar

Hi Harold
    Should I dump Ad-Aware in favor of another? Should I keep MalwarebytesA-M? Which ones work best together?
    Ad-Aware is not bad, but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is better, you can keep them both

but, itīs not a good idea to run more than one real-time anti-spyware shield. Using real-time protection from two or more anti-spyware applications may cause conflicts.
    (there is nothing wrong in having more than one antispyware programmes for “on demand” scanning)
    I hear horror stories about conflicting virus scanners
    The problem with having more than one anti-virus application running is that they will be fighting over the same rights, and this can make your system unstable as well as reduce your security rather than increase it.
    I don't help with logs thru PM. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Default All's well that ends well, I hope

Good morning, Peku006; I have, over the last few days, scaned a few of the other threads and I don't think my infection was as bad as most. But it was bad enough for me.

" itīs not a good idea to run more than one real-time anti-spyware shield."

I think the key word here is 'Shield'. The only active shield I have is McAfee from Comcast, all else is on demand. There is this 'Tea Timer' thing that SpyBot has. I don't know what it is, but I trust SpyBot so...

I do have a bunch of short cut and/or programs we downloaded for this cleanup left on my desk top. What should I do with them?

I think I am back on track, All scans are clean and we are fast again with no popups or unasked for websites.

One more time, Thank you for bailing me out of this mess. Harold.

Hi Harold.
    I do have a bunch of short cut and/or programs we downloaded for this cleanup left on my desk top. What should I do with them?
    you can delete them
    I don't help with logs thru PM. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Hi,Again, peku006; One more question, Please. It seems to me that this computer is quite slow shutting down or restarting. That is, slower that it was. I haven't timed it or anything like that but it just seems slower that it was.

None of the scans I do show anything. Do you know of any malware that we could have missed or do you think I have to much stuff on my startup menu? Between start and stop it runs as good and fast as it ever did.

I only ask because of my recent problems and your solutions. I promise, I will leave you alone after this.

Thanks again, Harold

Default Huh-oh!

Hi,Peku006; I have now developed something new. While starting up, right after the VAIO logo ( white on a black screen ) a black screen comes up for just a second. It seems to be offering me a choice of some kind. The highlighted line says something about Windows XP. It reminds me of the screen that comes up when starting in safe mode.

If this isn't a Malware problem just say so and I will go away. Its just funny that this would come up now. I know you are very busy and really don't like to bother you.

Thanks, again, Harold

Hi Harold

I have now developed something new. While starting up, right after the VAIO logo ( white on a black screen ) a black screen comes up for just a second. It seems to be offering me a choice of some kind. The highlighted line says something about Windows XP. It reminds me of the screen that comes up when starting in safe mode.
    because you now have Recovery Console installed

System Still Slow?
    You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance.
    If that does not work, you can try the steps mentioned in Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

post back if it helped.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.