Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Spybot S&D Download Error

Default First Time Spybot S&D Download Error

AT&T Tech Support suggested that I enhance my AVG spyware. I chose Spybot because it doesn't seem to bog down my computer start and have it on another computer, which was acquired quite some time ago.

I've downloaded Spybot S&D from the Spybot site as well as one of the mirror sites. After each download (1 each) after I click Run, I get an error message that the file is corrupted and to download it from somewhere else. What next? Thank you.

Kerry

You should download a fresh copy because either your download was corrupted or it did not complete (even though your browser said it did). Download a fresh copy of Spybot-Search&Destroy here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -

Thank you very much. I'll try it again. I didn't write down the error message, but I think it said that the setup file(s) were corrupted.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    You should download a fresh copy because either your download was corrupted or it did not complete (even though your browser said it did). Download a fresh copy of Spybot-Search&Destroy here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -
    Oh. both downloads originated from this link. Neither worked. I was still connected after the download.

Kerry

I'm not sure if it is a download corruption or there is something blocking the download.

Can you try renaming the installation file to something else? Like from "spybotsd162.exe" to "myspybot.exe".

I didn't get an option to save it differently. The error occurred after I OKd the "Unknown Publisher". Could this be a firewall issue?

Kerry

Wait--I see what you mean. I'd been hitting Run, rather than Save. I renamed it and am trying it now. Thanks.

Kerry

I was successful in downloading Spybot. I changed the file Save name and turned off my firewall. It successfully installed and I ran it. Thanks very much. I appreciate the help. I give myself a generous 3 on a scale from 1-10 when it comes to these kind of issues.
    Now, I can breathe a little easier.

Kerry

Glad to hear that it was resolved.

On a side note, try not to disable your firewall during installations (any) because it is unlikely that a program needs the firewall disabled during installation or update.

Take care.

Default "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

I've downloaded Spybot - Search and Destroy v1.6.2 from many sites but always get the same Error:
    "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

New copies do not give me anything different. Any clues please - my PC is acting very weird (Google search links don't function for example)?

Many thanks,
    James