Thread: Upgrading to 1.6.2 Problem

Default Upgrading to 1.6.2 Problem

I'm using Windows XP and the Firefox browser. I had Spybot-S&D 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 (I forget which, can you believe?) and want to upgrade to 1.6.2. I have 1.6.2's exe file downloaded to my computer already.

I uninstalled 160 through Add/Remove Programs. After the uninstallation, it said not all components were removed, but it didn't say which ones. So I just tried to manually delete the Spybot folder, but I couldn't because some dll file cannot be deleted.

I then tried to just install Spybot 162, but it says, first, the Spybot folder already exists and do I want to install to that same folder. I said yes. Then it says some dll is read-only and wants to know what to do. Heck if I know!

What should I do? I'd have been better off keeping the older version!

Thanks,
    Beth

That dll is possibly SDHelper.dll which was still enabled. You should try again next reboot and remove it. If you still can't, then you should re-install an old version of it and once again uninstall it but SDHelper must be disabled. You should be able to install 1.6.2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by evollbach
    I had Spybot-S&D 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 (I forget which, can you believe?)
    Quote Originally Posted by evollbach
    I uninstalled 160 through Add/Remove Programs.
    (No offense if done).

Yes, that dll is SDHelper. I rebooted and tried the install again; same result.

Here are the choices the message gives me after telling me that SDHelper.dll is read only: 1) remove the read only attribute and try again, 2) ignore to skip file, or 3) abort to cancel installation. So far, I chose to abort because I don't know what else to do.

I'll have the 1.6.0 installation file, so now I'll try to reinstall that. But I don't know how to disable SDHelper, so I may run into the same problem.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    That dll is possibly SDHelper.dll which was still enabled. You should try again next reboot and remove it. If you still can't, then you should re-install an old version of it and once again uninstall it but SDHelper must be disabled. You should be able to install 1.6.2 now.

(No offense if done).

I just reinstalled 1.6.0 with no problem. I can't upgrade to 1.6.2 because I can't disable SDHelper.dll.

Should I just choose to ignore it? I don't use Internet Explorer, and I think SDHelper is for IE, isn't it?

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by evollbach View Post
    Yes, that dll is SDHelper. I rebooted and tried the install again; same result.

Here are the choices the message gives me after telling me that SDHelper.dll is read only: 1) remove the read only attribute and try again, 2) ignore to skip file, or 3) abort to cancel installation. So far, I chose to abort because I don't know what else to do.

I'll have the 1.6.0 installation file, so now I'll try to reinstall that. But I don't know how to disable SDHelper, so I may run into the same problem.

Beth

You can take the long way or you can just ignore and skip the .dll file during installation.

The long way would be to install Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.0.30>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident and disable both options. Proceed to uninstall v.1.6.0.30, reobot, and then upgrade. To tell you the truth installing Spybot doesn't take that long either. A few minutes of your time.

I opt to ignore. I'm going to do that now and see what happens. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    You can take the long way or you can just ignore and skip the .dll file during installation.

The long way would be to install Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.0.30>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident and disable both options. Proceed to uninstall v.1.6.0.30, reobot, and then upgrade. To tell you the truth installing Spybot doesn't take that long either. A few minutes of your time.

I just

* reinstalled 1.6.0
    * rebooted
    * uninstalled 1.6.0 through Add/Remove Programs
    * rebooted
    * installed 1.6.2
    * got a message that the spybot folder already existed
    * said that it should install 1.6.2 to that folder
    * got a message that tools.dll (not SDHelper.dll this time) was read only
    * told it to ignore tools.dll
    * completed installation of 1.6.2

Did I do it correctly?

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by evollbach View Post
    I opt to ignore. I'm going to do that now and see what happens. Thanks!

That works too, but it was a waste of effort if nothing happened during the 1.6.0.30 installation. Originally I said to install the older version and disable SDHelper via Advanced Mode.

If it is working fine then there should be no problems.

It seems to be OK. If I find out it's not, I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall. Thanks. Beth

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    That works too, but it was a waste of effort if nothing happened during the 1.6.0.30 installation. Originally I said to install the older version and disable SDHelper via Advanced Mode.

If it is working fine then there should be no problems.