Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall?

Default Firewall?

Being older, I am really computer illiterate. So please be patient with what might appear as dumb questions.

I have Spybot 16.2. Do I also need a Firewall? If so,I guess I need to "buy" a firewall product. Through which company?

I used to have McAfee free through AOl. But I do not like McAfee. So which company would you recommend?

At this time, in my "Windows Secuity", the Firewall, Auto Updates and Virus Protection are all on. But I was told that the windows Firewall was not too good.

Also, does Spybot and Windows protect me on Internet Explorer as well as on AOL?

Thanks! I am REALLY by all this computer stuff!

Actually, I believe the Firewall that I have on is still through MCafee, which I will be removing from my computer in a few days!

Actually you can consider purchasing a firewall or get a free one. There are many great firewalls out there. Listing a few I like:
    -Comodo Pro Firewall (Now Comodo Pro Internet Security)
    -ZoneAlarm Firewall.

I'm not saying Windows Firewall is bad, but 3rd party applications certainly have the upper edge.

compdummy,

In addition to drragostea's recommendations these topics may be of help in your decisions.

Firewalls - Any Advice?

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by compdummy View Post
    Also, does Spybot and Windows protect me on Internet Explorer as well as on AOL?
    Your operating system and IE should be kept up to date via Windows Updates, not sure what you mean by "as well as AOL".

In Spybot-S&D > Mode > Advanced > Tools > Resident, check to see that the Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) is active.

How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.

Cheers.
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-02-22 at 09:00. Reason: added info
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you for your time and replies.

I have had Spybot for years and swear by it. Last year when the virus from hell attacked, Spybot was the hero!

I was ready to take all programs, etc. off my Dell and completely start over with a skeleton computer. A lot of my friends had to do this! No other service could help with that virus and it attached itself to everything. Also, it blocked the computer from a restoration process! The virus was attacking and winning everywhere!

I was in a losing battle. But, I waited a week or so before doing anything drastic. I just waited and updated and ran the Spybot daily. And, eventually Spybot was able to kill the virus!

I told my friends that Spybot was their answer!

My question should have been "Is Spybot all I need?"

I appreciate your links and will read and study them promptly, but is Spybot all I need?

Quote Originally Posted by compdummy View Post

I appreciate your links and will read and study them promptly, but is Spybot all I need?

Hi compdummy,

which AntiVirus tool do you use?

Best regards,
    -Matt-

I had McAfee free through my AOL. But my "free" agreement is ending. And McAfee was not polite or helpful last year when I had the virus. Their advice was just to remove everything from my computer and start over!

I want to remove the McAfee program ASAP.

If I have to pay for something, I want it to be the best.

And again, I am too computer dumb to know if Spybot covers all my needs.
    Anything I know about computers, I taught meyself. When I worked, I had a systems administrator and used "canned" programs. So I know darn little!

I use a Dell Dimension with Windows XP.

I am still confused, but after reading various links, etc. I believe I will need more than just my Spybot program....

Now the question is what will I need after I remove McAfee... Will I just need a firewall ? Or also a anti-virus program?

And which company should I use? It has to very user friendly or I will be in trouble.
    Last edited by compdummy; 2009-02-23 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by compdummy
    And McAfee was not polite or helpful last year when I had the virus. Their advice was just to remove everything from my computer and start over!
    Don't mind me, but McAfee is pathetic to just tell users to reformat their computers without getting into any details. A bit lazy if you ask me.

A solid security for your computer will consist of a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware application.
    Post#3 of this thread tells you about the firewalls.
    Good, robust anti-virus programs include:
    -Avast! Anti-Virus
    -Avira Antivir
    -AVG
    -NOD32 Anti-Virus (a trial)

You have Spybot-Search&Destroy covered for your anti-spyware.

Gosh! I can't thank you enough! I have gotten a real education, fast!

I now have:
    Zone Alarm-----Firewall
    AVG -----------Anti-Virus
    Spybot---------Anti-Spyware

Also, I have removed McAfee from my computer. And my "Windows" firewall is off, because the Zone Alrm Firewall is installed and running.

I have just one more little question, as this is all so very new to me.

Do you think rather than using the free AVG and free Zone Alarm, it is needed for me to purchase any additional coverage from either company?

When I read about their additional coverages, it was all way over-my-head.
    So, I thought I should inquire with someone that is knowledgable in these areas.

Thanks again!

Additional coverage just gives you a little more taste of anti-rootkit protection and real-time surfing protection from AVG. It is up to you to decide which ones you need and what you don't need. Additional coverage by ZoneAlarm includes built-in malware/virus scanner scanning. So you might want to decide what kind of additional coverage you might actually want.