Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop suddenly very slow

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Hi

Slowness doesn't always mean that malware is present Please see here for some speed improving hints.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Blade81,

Does this mean there isn't anything left to do?

I will check into some of the suggestions in the link you provided.

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple questions first (and feel free to tell it isn't your problem)....

I noticed in one of the scans system restore is not keeping restore check points anymore (the last being Jan 3rd). I thought that was odd, as I was going to restore my computer when I first noticed trouble (and before coming here).

I have also had issues in the add/remove programs. There are still programs listed that I removed long ago, like AOL. And speaking of a/r, do I use this to uninstall all the diagnostic tools I download or can I just dump them in the recycle bin?

One final question! What in startup absolutely MUST be in there? I hate all that clutter and I don't like to have anything start as I prefer to access through >Programs. The only things I like are the time/date, power meter, volume, AVG, and the wireless detector. How do I get rid of everything else and keep it out? A few years back, someone here gave me a link (broken now) where I could go to find out what these files in startup are. Does such a site still exist?

My apologies for so many questions! I just don't know where to go from here and I hate to cut my lifeline!

Robin

I noticed in one of the scans system restore is not keeping restore check points anymore (the last being Jan 3rd). I thought that was odd, as I was going to restore my computer when I first noticed trouble (and before coming here).
    Hi

Please see if you're able to do following system restore reset:

1. Turn off System Restore.
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check Turn off System Restore.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

I have also had issues in the add/remove programs. There are still programs listed that I removed long ago, like AOL. And speaking of a/r, do I use this to uninstall all the diagnostic tools I download or can I just dump them in the recycle bin?
    Programs should always be uninstalled thru add/remove programs when they have an entry there.

One final question! What in startup absolutely MUST be in there? I hate all that clutter and I don't like to have anything start as I prefer to access through >Programs. The only things I like are the time/date, power meter, volume, AVG, and the wireless detector. How do I get rid of everything else and keep it out? A few years back, someone here gave me a link (broken now) where I could go to find out what these files in startup are. Does such a site still exist?
    These can be disabled from startup:
    SigmatelSysTrayApp
    QuickTime Task
    DVDLauncher
    Adobe Photo Downloader
    SunJavaUpdateSched<-- if you fix this you have to regularly check for Java updates yourself
    Microsoft Office

You can check your 04 entries here by giving name between the brackets ([]) in the field.
    UNITE member since 2006

Blade81,

It says I am going to lose all my previous restore points if I turn it off. Doing a system restore was going to be my last ditch remedy (if left on my own). Should I try doing a system restore first. Is there a chance it might help? I trust you enough, that if you say not to bother, I won't, and I'll proceed with the reset.

What'd you think.

Hi

If the latest system restore point available is, as you said, from the beginning of January then restoring to that moment would be not recommended. You should reset the system restore to create fresh restore point and to see if system restore works properly
    UNITE member since 2006

Hello Blade81,

I reset system restore and it made a restore check point for today's date. Looks like its working again. I will check it again tomorrow.

You said, [These can be disabled from startup:] Is it alright to use HJT and remove them from startup rather than just disable them?

I went to the SystemLookup link and found it very helpful. Interestingly while I was there looking up everything in my startup I noticed that 5 items listed all have to do with asian characters and language. Strangely, I have recently noted I have strange fonts listed (lots) in some programs. I'm bewildered how they were added, because as I said, I am a very conservative and cautious user. Since I do not have updates run automatically (and haven't for months) how would they have been entered here? I only start noticing them last month, a week or two before the major slow down. Those items have not been in my startup for very long because I do check it now and then and would have picked up on them.

Well Blade81, even though the computer is still the same, I am glad to know I have no malware it there. Hopefully, after I remove a few unused programs and some data files, I'll defrag and maybe it will help. Do you know of any place like this forum (safe) that would assist with something like what I have going on? I am really not competent to do anything on my own beyond the very basics of uninstalling and deleting.

I have great respect and admiration for your selfless dedication to this! I will still be making a donation because I believe in what you all do here! Thanks.

Robin

You said, [These can be disabled from startup:] Is it alright to use HJT and remove them from startup rather than just disable them?
    Hi Robin

Yes, can be done that way

Interestingly while I was there looking up everything in my startup I noticed that 5 items listed all have to do with asian characters and language. Strangely, I have recently noted I have strange fonts listed (lots) in some programs. I'm bewildered how they were added, because as I said, I am a very conservative and cautious user. Since I do not have updates run automatically (and haven't for months) how would they have been entered here? I only start noticing them last month, a week or two before the major slow down. Those items have not been in my startup for very long because I do check it now and then and would have picked up on them.
    Just a guess but I think some program (probably Microsoft Office) has installed those.

Do you know of any place like this forum (safe) that would assist with something like what I have going on?
    Yes, I think http://forums.pcpitstop.com would be suitable place.

I have great respect and admiration for your selfless dedication to this! I will still be making a donation because I believe in what you all do here! Thanks.
    Thank you
    UNITE member since 2006

Blade81,

Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of my laptop issue.

After cleaning up my computer of unnecessary junk (kinda like cleaning my closet ) I went from barely a quarter of my drive free to two thirds available now! I then ran defrag and subsequently a check disk. I was scared to death by all the "deleting indexes" and "repaired bad cluster" (whatever they are) notes during the run and was preparing myself for the worst. But...

I do see a major improvement! While it still takes a while to boot, it is less than it was. The biggest improvement seems to be while browsing. Its not hanging and "not responding" so much!

What I've learned from this experience is to do a bit of periodic maintenence on my computer!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did what I did after following the links you provided!

Donaton made. You can close my thread.

Robin

That's great news, Robin

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note:If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    UNITE member since 2006