Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Alert Error Message

Default Security Alert Error Message

Would this be a spyware or virus problem?

I wish to download RealPlayer and keep getting an error message, "your security settings do not allow websites to use activex controls installed on your computer". I have searched various tech support areas and followed all the directions to lower security settings, allow for Active X prompts and enable downloading. I have turned off my AV and turned off the UAC ( I am a Vista user). I have done scans with Spybot and Malaware and it shows no problems. I have Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster running in the background. I tried to use the Microsoft One Care Safety Scanner but it shut down with an add-on error, (wlscCtrlz.dll) and error code of 0x0C600C03 for which there seemed to be no solution.

I am totally at a loss and hoped ( yeah crazy eh? ) that it was a spyware problem so that I could find a way to fix it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW I do play online games (Pogo, Zylom & MSN) so it is possible that when removing Popcap Adware it did something????

thanks so much

I doubt that removing Popcap led to your problem with RealPlayer. What browser are you using to download RealPlayer?

I am using IE7. I also discovered that my husband's version of SB has a Spybot Configuration tab up in IE under tools....I don't seem to have it and don't know how to invoke it. I was thinking that maybe somewhere it is blocked or restricted.

The Resident Shield that is installed on your husband's computer is SDHelper in Spybot (Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident). I don't think SDHelper is relevant to your problem.

What I was thinking was to result all the security zones in Internet Explorer to Default (Reset all zones to default level), that should resolve your problem. Either your zones are too high or too low.

I'm afraid that didn't work. It just boggles me. I can't figure out where to start to determine what is blocking it.

BTW - I have the SD Helper too, and it is checked in the Advanced/Tools area.

What AV are you using?
    Can you disable Spyware Guard and try again?

I would suggest you use another browser to download RealPlayer. Mozilla Firefox is a good one.

I shut down Spyware Guard and turned off my FireWall and still it was blocked. So I downloaded Firefox (and had no problems doing that) but even in Firefox when I attempt to download the RealPlayer it tells me it is blocked by my Security Zone Policy -real.com

below is the link for the blocked file

http://software-dl.real.com/285fe5e8...ayer11GOLD.exe

BTW, your assisting me with this is greatly appreciated as it does not appear to be a virus problem. Thanks very much

Funny, because there doesn't seem to be a site called "software-dl.real.com". It seems to be a fake. Funny .

My suggestion would be to visit the legitimate site, http://www.realplayer.com/
    -
    Some search from Google turns out the this RealPlayer "Gold" (I'm more concerned about the 'Gold' part, because it sounds a bit funny for a player), is for Linux. Not Windows. In the meantime, I would like to know if you want the 'free' version of RealPlayer or a purchased edition.

Fyi, keep your firewall and anti-virus enabled at all times. No exceptions.
    What Anti-Virus program do you use? Have you run a scan with it?

Conclusion: I think this Gold edition is a fake.

I use F-Secure offered through Shaw Cable and it has run and shown no problems.

I wanted the free version as I need it to view some tutorials for a class I am taking. I probably won't use it much beyond that.

I clicked on the link you gave for the "real" realplayer and I got the same response both with IE7 and with Firefox. It is giving me the same "Gold" download and the same link to software-.dll.
    Last edited by slhurban; 2009-03-01 at 01:38.

I decided to Google the Real Player Gold myself and came up with an alternate download site, TopDownloads, and it downloaded without problem. I was able to watch my tutorials so it is working fine. I have no idea what the problem with the Real Player site is but I do have an alternate solution.