Thread: Smartphone - battery not low sd problem

Default Smartphone - battery not low sd problem

Just had some really nasty stuff on my pc (rootkits and trojans mostly) and its left me wondering about my phone. Its an HTC TytnII Smartphone running Windows Mobile 6.1 and started suffering from receiving texts but not being able to send them. I have downloaded a lot of 'freeware' and had some malware warnings from some of them.

I tried the SpyBot mobile scanner (both versions, but whichever version I try it reports that my battery is almost flat (which it is not) and stops. I did a hard reset yesterday so it is about as 'clean' as can be. Is there a solution to this? And is malware a problem with mobile devices? Guess it might be if a spybot version has been developed.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but couldn't find a smartphone section or topic.

Any advice welcome
    Last edited by JohnyySmith; 2009-03-04 at 11:58.

On the TyTN I, I cannot reproduce that problem, but I remember having heard about that before.

The battery status is determined through GetSystemPowerStatusEx from kernel32.dll. We check whether it reports BatteryFlag as BATTERY_FLAG_CRITICAL.

Hmmm... maybe we should create a test application that displays all the output of that function? I wrote myself a todo list entry for that.

Btw, are you using an official or inofficial ROM? With all those custom ones out there, I've experienced a few with problems arising from hybrid builds - where two versions ae mixed together. But if I remember correctly, the TyTN II was already shipped with 6.1?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

The device is originally an AT&T (USA) shipped with WM 6.0. but I am using it in the UK. I have used some custom roms. But a while ago my PayAsYouGo provider changed so I went over to the 02 network.

I am now using the official 02 rom which is WM 6.1. Because of problems, being able to receive but not send text, I have recently done a hard reset. Followed by attempts to run S&D

Default I'm having the exact same problem

I'm having the exact same problem on an AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro) running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional.

I recently upgraded phones from a Cingular 8525 (HTC TYTN I) running Windows Mobile 6.0 and was using it with absolutely no problems.

I've created a small battery status test app and uploaded it here. Just unpack and run e.g. right from memory card, no installation etc.

The only break criterion Spybot would use would be BATTERY_FLAG_CRITICAL in the first line.

On BATTERY_FLAG_LOW and less than 600 seconds left, it would ask if you are sure you want to scan.

At first I thought the problem had to do with the battery status not retrieved properly. I'll check that next (right now I always get $FFFFFFFF seconds of runtime left, which seems to be wrong ).

Default battery status test app

I downloaded the battery status test app and it shows:

BATTERY_FLAG_HIGH
    AS status: Offline
    Battery left: 0 seconds (91%)
    Battery total: 0 seconds

0 seconds left sounds like it could be part of the problem... I'll have to check a few things on why this could happen (this is the direct output as coming from the operating system... maybe I've interpreted a data structure differntly, though then I would wonder why it works on mine).

(my result $FFFFFFFF was expected after all, that's the "unknown" seconds left when charging)