Thread: Can Spybot become corrupted? Please Help!

Default Can Spybot become corrupted? Please Help!

Getting very frustrated because I do not have enough computer knowledge to get things working right again. I run Windows XP. Here's my problem ....... Back in January of this year my computer became infected with "Virtumonde". Nothing I had, Spybot, McAfee and Ad-Aware, would completely remove it. Read an article that said "SpyHunter" did a good job of getting rid of it, so I acquired this program and sure enough it removed all of Virtumonde. However, after that these strange things started happening: 1. SpyBot started running scans automatically at bootup. First time it did this it listed "SpyHunter" as malware and removed it WITHOUT my permission. 2. I could no longer open and run Ad-Aware. Each time I try an error window opens and says "System Error 1814. Could not login to server." I tried to uninstall Ad-Aware but the system will not allow it. I have gone to the Lavasoftusa download site and tried several times to download the new free version, but each time the download is stopped and the following message appears: "Network Error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C;\Docume~1\Mycomp~1\Locals~1\TEMP\mia1\WISDED53BOBB67C and on and on ....
    3. All other functions and programs seem to function fine, but the computer is responding much slower than it used to. And, yes, I have run Disk Cleanup and Defrag a couple of times. 4. The last thing I tried was using Restore Point, but whatever has control over this computer will not allow it regardless of what date or how far back I go. It goes through what seems like the entire process but then finally a message comes on that says "Unable to restore to that date".
    Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Larry Davis,

to Safer Networking Forums.

if you are infected with Malware, you can open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum, where someone will help you.

Therefore, you have to read the thread "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance).
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Default Matt

I tried to open a thread in the forum you suggested, but even though I was logged in I was unable. A message keeps coming up saying I do not have access.

Hi Larry Davis,

I've asked a member of Team Spybot for help.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt