Thread: Spybot not running in the background

Post Spybot not running in the background

I recently installed Mcafee 2009 in my system. During the time of it's installation, i had to uninstall spybot without which mcafee didnt go through. After mcafee installation, i installed spybot 1.6.2 on my system.

i realized just now that spybot doesnt run anymore in the background as it originally used to. I checked in the "processes" of windows task manager only to find the spybot exe file missing. i checked in the msconfig file as well. it's not there. it's not in the system tray either.

the problem has started only after installation of 1.6.2. prior to that spybot was running continously in the background. I tried changing the default mode to advanced mode in the settings option. it hasnt helped either.

I am not a systems expert to unravel the mystery. Could anyone, pls. advise as to how to get spybot up and running continously in the background..? Thanks.

Sounds like you were using teatimer before,if you had an icon in the notification area.If so,you would see teatimer.exe in task manager,not Spybot.exe.Can you remember if that's what you saw in task manager?

Also,what Operating System do you have?XP,Vista,etc.

I was using tea timer in the past. I could see the tea timer exe in the task manager. Now, I dont see either of those files (spybot or tea timer). I am using Windows XP professional version.

Hi there. It could be possible that TeaTimer was not activated yet.

Open Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident.
    The second box should be ticked to activate TeaTimer.

SpybotSD.exe is the scanner and the program itself, so when the window is active then that process should appear in your Windows Task Manager.

Thanks much. As instructed, I have activated the team timer. It looks OK now.