Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox and IE Wont' Browse

Default Firefox and IE Won't Browse

My son's VISTA computer will not browse with IE 8 or Firefox. I am able to ping the DNS server and can ping yahoo.com and google.com via the command window. it appears that something has hijacked port 80. He does not have Spybot loaded on his PC and only has Bitdefender 2000 Anti Virus running with the latest update happening this morning.

Can someone recommend how I can get a full version of Spybot on his computer without having to access the internet from his computer. The last time I loaded Spybot on my Office PC, Spybot had to download several files from the Internet before it completed its installation. I don't want to use his restore CD's but I will, if that's the only option.
    Last edited by wussery; 2009-04-11 at 05:34.

Hi wussery,

to Safer Networking Forums.

You can download Spybot 1.6.2 from here. Moreover, please download the latest updates (=detection udpates) from here.

You can save both files onto an USB-stick and copy it onto your son's computer (desktop). Now double click on Spybot 1.6.2 and install it. I've you have done it, double click on "spybotsd_includes.exe" and all detection updates will be installed automatically.

Open Spybot and run a scan. Does it find something? If yes, tell us what Spybot find. Therefore, right click on the white background after Spybot has finished its scan and save a report from this scan.

You can add these logfile with your next reply.

Does your son have installed an software firewall onto his computer?

Please answer and tell us what you did or what you want to do. Moreover, we can give you further instructions, like opening your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum, where an expert will have a look onto this computer.
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-04-11 at 12:20.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    Hi wussery,

You can download Spybot 1.6.2 from here. Moreover, please download the latest updates (=detection udpates) from here.

You can save both files onto an USB-stick and copy it onto your son's computer (desktop). Now double click on Spybot 1.6.2 and install it. I've you have done it, double click on "spybotsd_includes.exe" and all detection updates will be installed automatically.

Open Spybot and run a scan. Does it find something? If yes, tell us what Spybot find. Therefore, right click on the white background after Spybot has finished its scan and save a report from this scan.

Please answer and tell us what you did or what you want to do. Moreover, we can give you further instructions, like opening your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum, where an expert will have a look onto this computer.
    Matt he has Bitdefender Antivirus 2009 loaded on his PC. No malware or spyware is loaded other than CCleaner. I will follow your instructions and report back.

Default Spybot Results

Hi wussery,

Spybot found one problem. Microsoft. Windows.Security.Internet.Explorer. Awaiting further instructions.

Default Correction to AV Program

My son has BitDefender Antivirus 2008, NOT the 2009 version. His license is good for another 50 days.

Hi wussery,

thank you for this update.
    Is an software firewall installed on his computer?
    Windows Vista has it's own firewall as well. Please check, it it's activated (you can find it under control panel > Windows Security Center).
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Hi wussery,

thank you for this update.
    Is an software firewall installed on his computer?
    Windows Vista has it's own firewall as well. Please check, it it's activated (you can find it under control panel > Windows Security Center).
    Yes Windows Firewall was turned on. I turned it off temporarily and I also stopped all Bitdefender services temporarily and unloaded Bitdefender from memory and tried to load IE8, but I get the same results. No surfing.

But you can update BitDefender correct?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    But you can update BitDefender correct?
    Yes, this is what is strange. I clicked on the update button for Bitdenfender 2008 and it "appears" to go out and update itself. I have today's date in the Last Checked and Last Updated fields.

Default Is this Registry Entry Correct?

In the SpybotSD.Results.txt file there is an entry below. Is this entry corrrect?

Service (registry key): HTTP
    Registry path: \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    Display name: HTTP
    Description: This service implements the hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP). If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Image path: system32\drivers\HTTP.sys
    Image size: 0
    Image MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
    Control Set: CurrentControlSet
    Start: 3
    Type: 1
    Error Control: 1