Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot cannot fix "FunWebproducts" entries

Emeritus- Security Expert peku006's Avatar

Hi mariner77
    The scans are fine and it looks like your machine is clean

1) I give you instructions (here and now) how to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point

2) yes it would undo all the fixes we have just made, and the computer would be infected again

if you still have problems with the system restore, read this

Windows XP System Restore Guide

To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created do the following:
    Delete RSIT from your desktop, also delete this folder C:\rsit.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Disable and Enable System Restore-WINDOWS XP
    This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:

Turn off System Restore
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6
    Download it from here. Just choose a mirror and off you go.
    Find here the tutorial on how to use Spybot properly here

Install SpyWare Blaster 4.0
    Download it from here
    Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here

Install WinPatrol
    Download it from here
    Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here

Install FireTrust SiteHound
    You can find information and download it from here

Install MVPS Hosts File from here
    The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
    Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
    You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
    Secunia Software Inspector
    F-secure Health Check

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer.
    http://www.update.microsoft.com

Please check out Tony Klein's article "How did I get infected in the first place?"

Read some information here how to prevent Malware.

Happy safe surfing!
    I don't help with logs thru PM. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

this is a "typo"
    I don't help with logs thru PM. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Default Many thanks

Hi peku,

All done, fantastic !

I cleared the old restore points, created 2 new ones.
    I restored back to the very first one no problem.

I really love the way you are specific and leave nothing to chance in your instructions.
    Even an idiot like me can understand it !

Thanks too for all the other useful tips and info. It doesn't get ny better than this....

Some I've done and seen already(errr SINCE being infected...) but some are new to me.
    I will check them all out for sure so I hope this doesn't happen again......

Out of interest, do you not recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ?
    I like it a lot....
    Is it because a full version it is not free ?

Many thanks for all you help, I really appreciate it.

Hi mariner77

of course I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    I left MalwareBytesAntiMalware on your computer. It is a good program to have and to run every few weeks just to be sure that you are still clean.
    but remember, it is not a good idea to run more than one real-time anti-spyware shield. Using real-time protection from two or more anti-spyware applications may cause conflicts.
    (there is nothing wrong in having more than one antispyware programmes for “on demand” scanning)

Ah very interesting, I never knew that.

Well, thanks ever so much again peku.

For your sake I hope the amount of malware problems on the forum eases off slightly......

Kind regards & take care,
    mariner77

Default Sorry, one final question....

Dear peku,

I feel guilty to ask you again as I know you're so busy, so please do tell me to raise these questions in the Spybot S&D forum if you so wish(no problem I promise.....)

May I ask one more thing ?

You said before :- "it is not a good idea to run more than one real-time anti-spyware shield. Using real-time protection from two or more anti-spyware applications may cause conflicts."

To be clear, is Spybot S&D real time protection ? I see it has Resident "SDHelper" and Resident "TeaTimer".

Why I ask is that my friend wants spyware doctor('s "On Guard" protection) to be running(in my view not so great) and thinks this means therefore that he
    a) can't have Spybot S&D running in the background.
    b) doesn't need to use the immunization feature on Spybot S&D if he uses it on Spyware Doctor.

Is it necessary to have Spyware Doctor running if Spybot S&D is running in the background (or vice versa) ?

I also notice the "immunization" function is a subset of real time protection for both applications ?

Surely this doesn't mean though that if the immunization is performed with Spyware Doctor that there is no need to immunize using Spybot S&D ?

When you say "may cause conflicts", do you mean similar to the problem we had before when Spyware Doctor got it wrong and flagged the trojan ?
    Or do you mean if 2 real time protection apps are running then it may cause threats to be missed or not fixed/protected against ?

Finally, do different real time protection functions guard against different threats ? Surely they can't work in exactly the same way and both will miss things the other doesn't ?
    I wondered if having both running might give more protection, and even if it did raise conflicts, then he could manually override them ?
    Or is this totally wrong ?

Personally I would always go with Spybot S&D and ditch Spyware Doctor but wondered if it is safe and beneficial to have them both running at the same time.....

Many thanks again peku, much appreciated.
    mariner77.

Hi mariner77
    To be clear, is Spybot S&D real time protection ? I see it has Resident "SDHelper" and Resident "TeaTimer".
    There are four levels of protection currently offered by Spybot S&D.
    This is a helpful topic by md usa spybot fan.How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.
    I can not say anything about Spyware Doctor because I have never used the
    When you say "may cause conflicts", do you mean similar to the problem we had before when Spyware Doctor got it wrong and flagged the trojan ?
    Or do you mean if 2 real time protection apps are running then it may cause threats to be missed or not fixed/protected against ?
    "may cause conflicts" means system crashes, high system usage and/or conflicts with each other
    Finally, do different real time protection functions guard against different threats ? Surely they can't work in exactly the same way and both will miss things the other doesn't ?
    I wondered if having both running might give more protection, and even if it did raise conflicts, then he could manually override them ?
    Or is this totally wrong ?
    There are many different types of spyware ,not all programs catch the same spyware files or offer the same protective options.
    Personally I would always go with Spybot S&D and ditch Spyware Doctor but wondered if it is safe and beneficial to have them both running at the same time.....
    I do not think that there is no greater benefit, although both running at the same time
    I use the Spybot S&D and SpyWare Blaster together with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (all are free programs)and my computer has never been infected

Many thanks for the information peku.

Quote Originally Posted by peku006 View Post
    Hi mariner77
    There are four levels of protection currently offered by Spybot S&D.
    This is a helpful topic by md usa spybot fan.How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.
    Yes I've seen this article before - it's very good.
    Just wasm't sure if this was real time protection or not - I guess it must be.

I can not say anything about Spyware Doctor because I have never used the
    All I really know is it offers onGuard real time protection.....

"may cause conflicts" means system crashes, high system usage and/or conflicts with each other
    Thanks.

There are many different types of spyware ,not all programs catch the same spyware files or offer the same protective options.
    Yep.

I do not think that there is no greater benefit, although both running at the same time
    Sorry - can you explain ?

I use the Spybot S&D and SpyWare Blaster together with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (all are free programs)and my computer has never been infected
    Fair enough - I will do the same and persuade my friend to.....

I am slightly confused however.
    Is Spyware blaster real time protection ?

If Spyware Blaster offers real time protection and Spybot S&D does too then isn't there a possible conflict ?
    Or is the protection of each mutually exclusive of each other ?

I notice spyware Blaster does not sit in the bottom right running as a program.
    It seems that you need to load it up to protect yourself, but cannot close the screen and leave running in the background....

Maybe this is not important, but spyware doctor is "On Guard" in real time and sits running to protect against threats (like Teatimer and resident Shield?)

Please forgive my lack of knowledge about the subject - I will endevour to learn all I can once the thread ends.....

Many thanks again peku.

Hi mariner77

you have a lot of (difficult) questions

Sure you can have both at the same time, many users have both Spybot S&D and Spyware Doctor but remember ,your machine is not "two times better" protected....
    all depends on how and where computers are used............

If Spyware Blaster offers real time protection and Spybot S&D does too then isn't there a possible conflict ?
    Or is the protection of each mutually exclusive of each other ?
    Those are two different programs

SpyBot Search & Destroy is a scanner/remover for spyware, and it has a real-time protection feature called TeaTimer. You can set TT to run in the background and if it detects spyware-like activity it will alert you and give you chance to stop the suspicious process before it does any harm. In that respect, it's similar to an antivirus program.

SpywareBlaster blocks the installation of most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other unwanted programs from the user's computer. SpywareBlaster works by blacklisting the CLSID of known malware programs, effectively preventing them from infecting a protected computer. This approach differs from many other anti-spyware programs, which typically offer the user a possibility to "scan" the memory of the computer and remove the unwanted software, after it has been installed.

I think you're right about me peku....

Many thanks for the information - that is most helpful.

Actually one of the features of Spyware doctor's real time on guard protection is to block the user browsing certain web pages with the message "Spyware Doctor has prevented you viewing a page suspected of harmful content".

Unfortunately for myself it does not matter which web page I visit - I always get the error message !
    And no help from their "support team" either.....
    What a bunch of **** !

Many thanks for all your help peku, I will now embark on a self-learning curve.

Take care & thanks again,
    mariner77.