Thread: help setting up s&d

Question help setting up s&d

I have downloaded s&d and am trying to go through the setup process. I am gettign an error message saying: Error sending request- The server name or address could not be resolved. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
    Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

paulagail:

Normally a failure to connect during and attempt to "Search for Updates" is accompanied by a message in the following format:
    • Error retrieving update info file!
      Socket Error # nnnnn

Were nnnnn is the code of the Socket Error that was encountered:

From the error message that you receive, it sounds as if the update request was not being interpreted by a DNS (Data Name Server), almost is as if you were not connected to a DNS through the internet at the time you received the message.

The Spybot-S&D update process (Spybot 1.4) starts with the download of the following file:

If you go into an Internet Explorer session can you access that file without receiving and error message?

Do you have a firewall? If you have a firewall:
    • You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet through your firewall. If you have a firewall and are not sure if that is the cause of the problem, you could (for a short period) disable the firewall and see if the updates work properly.

Are you sitting behind a proxy server? If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update'. Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default not working

Thank you for the response.
    Apparently, the problem is with downloading the program itself. I am getting the error message as it is downloading. I thought it was finished downloading, but it says it is downloading additional files. I can not finish the download. I have tried from more than one site. I do not understand what the problem is.