Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflict with HOSTS secure

Default Conflict with HOSTS secure

I use the MVPS hosts file. I have a program called HOSTS secure that automatically checks for updates of the hosts file. It also keeps my hosts file locked, so I do not use Spybot to lock the hosts file.

When MVPS releases a new hosts file, HOSTS secure downloads the update, unlocks my hosts file, updates it, then locks the updated hosts file.

However, every time HOSTS secure locks the hosts file, Spybot sets itself to lock the hosts file too, even though I do not want it to do this. I usually forget that this happens. Then the next I go to update the hosts file, my update gets interupted because Spybot has the hosts file locked.

So it appears that HOSTS secure and Spybot have a conflict.

Sounds like Spybot is also locking the hosts file. To stop spybot doing this:

1. Load Spybot
    2. Go into tools (on the left hand scroll bar)
    3. Select IE Tweaks
    4. Untick lock hosts file

Problem solved.
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Also:
    The HOSTS secure site is not opening for me at the moment:
    http://www.timdorr.com/syko86/ycsoft/hostssecure.htm

A Google cache last message:
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 @ 4.18AM
    Sorry about the lack of updates recently, school just started and I'm really busy. School's in 4 hours time and I've been up all night. Alright, enough whining. New version!
    I use Hoster, another program linked from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm
    http://www.funkytoad.com/hoster.htm

Using manual updates with no conflict.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B
    Sounds like Spybot is also locking the hosts file. To stop spybot doing this:

1. Load Spybot
    2. Go into tools (on the left hand scroll bar)
    3. Select IE Tweaks
    4. Untick lock hosts file

Problem solved.
    You are correct, Spybot is also locking the HOSTS file and I do go into IE Tweaks and uncheck lock hosts file. This solves the problem until the next time I update my hosts file. After the update, spybot automatically locks the HOSTS file again, even though I have told it not to.

It's more of a nuissance than anything.

Hello.

I will ask someone to take a look at this topic.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

besafe:

Spybot appears to "lock" the HOSTS file by setting the attributes on the HOSTS file to read-only. This is normally accomplished by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks. There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page. If you check the following "Miscellaneous lock" the read-only attribute is set on for the HOSTS file.
    • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers.

Spybot also appears to "lock" the HOSTS file when you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts File and do an "Add Spybot-S&D hosts list".

In my experience Spybot does not automatically set the read-only attribute on the HOSTS file and only sets it when one of the two above manual actions are performed by the user.

It should be noted that the check mark in front of "Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers" on the IE Tweaks screen does not necessarily mean that Spybot set the attributes on the HOSTS file to read-only. The check mark indicates that attributes on the HOSTS file are set to read-only. They could have been set by some other program. For example:
    • Exit Spybot.
    • Go into Windows Explorer > right click on the HOSTS file > select Properties > then in the General tab > check Read-only (in Attributes near the bottom) > then click OK.
    • Go back into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks, Spybot will show that the HOSTS file is locked.
    • Exit Spybot.
    • Go into Windows Explorer > right click on the HOSTS file > select Properties > then in the General tab > uncheck Read-only (in Attributes near the bottom) > then click OK.
    • Go back into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks, Spybot will show that the HOSTS file is unlocked.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    Hello.

No rush, but curious if anyone on the team started looking into this?

If it never gets solved, it's not a big deal. Again, just more of a nuissance than a real problem.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

besafe:

tashi PMed me with the following (2006-06-06, 15:52 GMT/UTC):

I commented above.

Quote Originally Posted by besafe
    No rush, but curious if anyone on the team started looking into this?
    Did you read my post above?

I believe that something other than Spybot is setting the read-only attribute on the HOSTS file that is interfering with your HOSTS Secure.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-06-08 at 17:15. Reason: Changed the time in the post to GMT/UTC

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    besafe:

Did you read my post above?

I believe that something other than Spybot is setting the read-only attribute on the HOSTS file that is interfering with your HOSTS Secure.
    Yes, I did read your post. Thank you for the reply. But I am not certain that you are correct.

When I go into explorer and manually change the attributes of the HOSTS file, it has no effect on the setting of Spybots IE tweak. If I have checked the lock the hosts file box or if I have left it unchecked, it remains the same no matter what I manually do to the HOSTS file properties.

However, when I lock the HOSTS file with HOSTS Secure (my host management program), Spybot also shows that it has locked the HOSTS file. But when I unlock the file with HOSTS secure, this has no effect on Spybots setting.

So what happens, is that when I update the hosts file, HOSTS secure automatically locks the HOSTS file after the update, but Spybot is actually the program doing the locking. When I go to update again, HOSTS secure cannot update the fiile because Spybot has it locked. As soon as I uncheck the "lock hosts file", HOSTS secure is able to update.

You see it differently?

Default Also having hosts file problem - access is denied error msg

I am also having a problem modifying the hosts file on two computers. I started a separate thread, but thought I would mention that to the viewers of this thread. http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5009