Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot at startup

Default Spybot at startup

Lately my Symantec anti virus is being temporarily shut off at start up. I'm wondering if SpyBot shuts it off temporarily to run teatimer or something? I'm not computer savvy, so please have patience with me. My microsoft security gives me this message upon startup. When I go to the security area I cannot turn it back on myself, I have to wait for whatever is going on and then it will automatically be turned back on. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysInTrouble View Post
    Lately my Symantec anti virus is being temporarily shut off at start up. I'm wondering if SpyBot shuts it off temporarily to run teatimer or something? I'm not computer savvy, so please have patience with me. My microsoft security gives me this message upon startup. When I go to the security area I cannot turn it back on myself, I have to wait for whatever is going on and then it will automatically be turned back on. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Have you tried running any other programs to see if there's something S&D isn't finding? Sounds suspiciously like malware. I've never had a problem with Spybot Tea timer turning off AV programs.

Also, you could temporarily disable Tea Timer and verify that.

Hello AlwaysInTrouble
    My microsoft security gives me this message upon startup. When I go to the security area I cannot turn it back on myself, I have to wait for whatever is going on and then it will automatically be turned back on.
    What is your operating system? The security center alerts me during startup to correct that same issue even on a machine without anti-spyware resident protection.

My anti virus program will not have been turned off, just checking itself for components, updates etc. The bigger the program the longer the delay.

How long do you wait for the message to go away and does the computer show any signs of an infection?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks for your replies.
    My OS is XP. It doesn't take too long. I have scanned with MalwareBytes, Microsoft OneCare and Symantec and all looks clean. I have searched for odd file names and found none (at least that I'm aware of, as I'm still a newbie re computers)
    The auto-protect stays enabled too. I think this started after the last major Spybot update, that's why I was wondering if it could be TeaTimer. I will try to temporarily shut TeaTimer off and see what happens. I'll keep you posted on that one. Thanks very much for your input thus far!

I temporarily shut off tea timer, but it makes no difference. Obviously not teatimer.

Does anyone know what the VPDN.exe is for? I was checking my task manager and I can't find any info on it.
    Thanks again

Hi there,

The usual definition for VPDN is Virtual Private Data Network.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...80094586.shtml

Best regards.

Thanks Tashi, but any idea why I might have VPDN show up in my task manager? However, it has disappeared since we last discussed it. It would help if I knew why it appeared.
    Thanks!

Hello AlwaysInTrouble,
    Thanks Tashi, but any idea why I might have VPDN show up in my task manager? However, it has disappeared since we last discussed it. It would help if I knew why it appeared.
    That would be guessing. Are you on dialup?

Cheers.

No I'm not on dialup. Does it have anything to do with when Microsoft or whoever takes control of your computer/remote assistance? I have not seen it since that once, really quick. I wanted to be sure it's not someone trying to get into my computer.

Also, I was wondering if ComboFix is okay to install to check for malware/virus?
    Also is OTL (OldTimer) and Malwarebytes okay?

I truly appreciate all of your help! I'm glad there are great people on this forum to help everyone!
    Thanks again!

Hi AlwaysInTrouble,
    I wanted to be sure it's not someone trying to get into my computer.

Also, I was wondering if ComboFix is okay to install to check for malware/virus?
    Also is OTL (OldTimer) and Malwarebytes okay?
    If you believe, or have concern, that the computer may be infected please follow the instructions in this link to produce a HJT log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where an analyst will advise you as soon as available.

Also see this sticky topic: Do NOT run 'FIXES' before helpers have analyzed the HJT log especially this part.
    NOTE: ComboFix is not a general purpose cleaning tool!
    It should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained and continues their education in its use.
    Best regards.