Thread: spybot better than mcafe for newbies

Default spybot better than mcafe for newbies

Hi,
    I've used spybot S&D in past and always like it...my son who is nearly computer illiterate has just plunked down five hundred bucks and bought a toshiba with Nortons installed..Well it only took two days for him to get a virus and this new computer shuts down alot. He took it into the store and the sales person identified the W32ACJabttaB@mm worm along with a trojan.(he hasn't given me the name yet) Nortons won't help him.. told him he had to pay someone online to fix it...but sales person who sold him the pc said he could return it for another and that they strongly urge him to get mcafe installed on it. I have mcafe on mine and I had found that spybot S&D was easier for me to use...but I have a whole lot more experience in maintaining, diagnosing and solving problems..he is totally clueless. Before he spends the money...I'd like to know if spybot has a more user friendly virus protection than mcafe...specifically the problem I think he will have are the constant pop ups asking for permission to access...he won't know which ones to allow..he'd be clueless.. I sometimes don't know which ones to allow as they don't always give enough detail or aren't familiar. Any thoughts??

Hello toadiepug
    Quote Originally Posted by toadiepug View Post
    Before he spends the money...I'd like to know if spybot has a more user friendly virus protection than mcafe...
    Spybot-Search & Destroy is not designed to find and remove viruses or worms. The program searches for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.

Quote Originally Posted by toadiepug View Post
    Nortons won't help him.. told him he had to pay someone online to fix it

Actually, there are many security forums with volunteer analysts who assist users for free. Like here in our own Malware Removal Forum

Please take a look at this thread regarding Anti Virus Programs

Cheers.
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-07-28 at 06:11. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016