Thread: How to "whitelist" a process

Default How to "whitelist" a process

I run Spybot 1.6.2.46 on a Windows XP SP3 machine, with IE7 and Firefox 3.5.1 (my default browser). I'm trying to run Secunia's PSI, and I'm trying to find out how to make sure Tea Timer is letting it execute, and how to tell Tea Timer to do so if it isn't. I've checked everything I know--IE7 security, Firefox security, Windows Firewall--and even though I told all of them to let PSI run, PSI won't run, so I'm trying to make sure that Tea Timer isn't blocking it. Am I missing something (relatively) obvious in Spybot's operating instructions? (Note: I'm getting no message about process termination, so may I assume from that fact that the problem does not lie with Tea Timer?)
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Roger Blair

You could temporarily shut down Teatimer,and try to run PSI.Just rightclick Teatimer,and select Exit Spybot S&D resident.
    To get teatimer going again,you can just reboot your computer,or if you'd rather not reboot,open Spybot,click mode,advanced mode,tools,resident,and teatimer should run again.

Or,you could also look at the Teatimer log.The teatimer log should show if teatimer is blocking PSI.Rightclick Teatimer,and select Show log.
    You could copy and paste the log here,if you'd like.

Default Well, it may not be Tea Timer after all

I took the recommended advice and turned off Tea Timer--PSI still didn't run. I even took down my anti-virus (AVG) and tried again--still no PSI. I guess Tea Timer isn't to blame for this (though I don't know where else to turn right now).
    Just for the record, here are my Tea Timer logs from today and yesterday.

7/27/2009 8:18:54 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SMRequiresRestart" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    7/27/2009 8:25:36 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8}" (new data: "") added in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/27/2009 8:25:40 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C}" (new data: "") deleted in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/27/2009 8:25:40 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "*{37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8}" (new data: "") deleted in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/27/2009 8:25:44 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C}" (new data: "") added in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/28/2009 7:04:38 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C}" (new data: "") deleted in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/28/2009 7:04:51 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C}" (new data: "") added in Internet Explorer searches!
    7/28/2009 8:04:16 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C}" (new data: "") added in Internet Explorer searches!

If anyone can see anything there that might help, please let me know.
    Again, many thanks.

Roger Blair

No,I don't see anything in your resident log related to PSI.
    I did see the forum for it yesterday,so I'll see if I can find it for you.

Here you go:
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/

Looks like you create an account/register by clicking Secunia Profile next to Forum on the blue bar under the Community heading.

This is the Secunia PSI-feedback and questions section,looks like your best bet:
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/?forum=1

Default I've been there

Zenobia, thanks for the suggestion, but I've already gone there. I have submitted an inquiry to Secunia, and I've responded to their suggestions and am waiting for a reply.

Hope you get it running.Good luck.

Default Oh Well, . . .

Zenobia, thanks for your help and encouragement. I'm appending the conversation I had with Secunia support; apparently, my problem lies with my dial-up connection, which exonerates Spybot (and everything else). Sorry that I couldn't give you a more successful outcome--I'll just have to keep struggling with this problem until I can afford broadband.
    Again, many thanks.
    Roger Blair

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Roger
    It is to the best of my knowledge not a common issue but I think your
    dial-up connection might be the cause to the problem. You might want to
    visit our Community to see if other users have experienced the same
    issue and possible have a solution for it.
    Direct link: http://secunia.com/community/forum/

-
    Kind regards,

Emil Jeppesen
    Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 11:23 +0000, crogerblair@netzero.com wrote:
    > Yes, I can reach your site through IE7.
    >
    > Roger Blair
    >
    > ---------- Original Message ----------
    > From: Secunia PSI Support <support@secunia.com>
    > To: "crogerblair@netzero.com" <crogerblair@netzero.com>
    > Cc: support@secunia.com
    > Subject: Re: PSI and dial-up
    > Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:56:34 +0200
    >
    > Hi Roger
    > Are you able to visit our website using Internet Explorer? Please try
    > the link in my signature?
    >
    > -
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Emil Jeppesen
    > Secunia PSI Support
    >
    > Secunia PSI
    > http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 00:47 +0000, crogerblair@netzero.com wrote:
    > > I've turned off everything I could think of that could interferer with
    PSI--Spybot's Tea Timer and System Mechanic's System Guard. I even turned off my
    anti-virus (AVG--it's back up now) , but nothing helps. I also added "https://psi.sec
    unia.com" to IE7's Trusted Sites, but that didn't make any difference, either. Is
    there something else I could try? (Note: I can access the OSI site via Firefox, so I at
    least get that much.)
    > >
    > > Roger Blair
    > >
    > > ---------- Original Message ----------
    > > From: Secunia PSI Support <support@secunia.com>
    > > To: "crogerblair@netzero.com" <crogerblair@netzero.com>
    > > Cc: support@secunia.com
    > > Subject: Re: PSI and dial-up
    > > Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:43:03 +0200
    > >
    > > Hi Roger
    > > Thank you for contacting Secunia Support.
    > >
    > > Please make sure that no security software or other programs block the
    > > Secunia PSI from accessing the internet. Also you could thy to add
    > > https://psi.secunia.com to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
    > >
    > > -
    > > Kind regards,
    > >
    > > Emil Jeppesen
    > > Secunia PSI Support
    > >
    > > Secunia PSI
    > > http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 12:05 +0000, crogerblair@netzero.com wrote:
    > > > I've used PSI since it came out, but lately I've been having trouble using
    it. I have Windows XP SP3, with Firefox as my default browser and NetZero dial-up access.
    I'm finding that PSI only runs once in eight or ten tries; the rest of the time, it
    either gives me the "no access" message or seems to hang up at the interface
    loading screen. I've gone through both Firefox and IE7 (as well as Windows Firewall)
    giving PSI access, but to no avail. Does my dial-up access cause the problem, or is there
    something else I can try to get it to work? (By the way, I tried the Forum first, but the
    folks there recommended I email you about the problem.)
    > > > Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
    > > >
    > > > Roger Blair
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    >

Sorry to hear that.
    I searched their forum for dial-up,and came up with your thread,I think.
    There are a couple other posts there about dial-up users and PSI,but nothing much different to what was covered in your thread:
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/?...search=dial-up