Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many clients detected

Default Many clients detected

Starting Spybot S&D 2.0.3.131 Beta Start Center (with Admin rights) on my Win7 Ult x64 SP1 HTPC i get the warning message:

Many clients detected

We've detected 7 clients running Spybot - Search & Destroy in your network.

You are running the personal version of Spybot - Search & Destroy. This edition is licensed for personal use only.

--> Continue personal use...
    If you're just in a larger home network, we apologize for disturbing you with this message.

--> Visit Corporate Use website...
    If you are at a work computer, your use of Spybot - Search & Destroy is unlicensed, please get a proper license!
    I understand the meaning and necessity, but I do have, well:
    - 2 Laptops (1 isn't mine, just repairing it), only 1 has S&D 2 installed
    - 1 HTPC, has S&D 2 installed
    - 1 PC, actually not even built up, therefore no S&D installed
    - 1 Router, of course without S&D
    - All of these 3 active PCs (while 1 hasn't S&D) only use one networkadapter and receive static DHCP releases
    - One uses a V-PC but there's also no S&D installed and hasn't been running since the beta came out

So it is unclear to me how he can detect 7 clients with S&D where I have 2?
    Also I am getting this message every time the program starts up and I would recomend to change this (just calling a warning if something changes).
    And can I actually do something against it for now?

I have not personally seen this popup yet but if its true its very sad to see this kind of thing added to spybot.

is the terms of use and installation question about personal/commercial use not enough?

whats more worrisome to me is; what is it that spybot does/change that allows a computer to be scanned and flagged via the network?

does the terms and conditions of the new spybot allow you to scan peoples networks without consent?

We have added this feature to Spybot - S&D 2 because we experienced that companies used our free software without authorization in networks with a multitude of installations. Since this is a beta, this feature will be changed during the process. For the moment, there is no way to avoid this popup directly. We are working on the process of how the number of clients in a network is calculated. Are your DHCP settings really static? Could you tell us how many different user accounts you have installed on your systems where Spybot is installed? We will also adjust the size of network, at which this warning will pop up. As already stated before, this is a beta and this is still a tested feature.
    (m/f)

ok, yeah it is clear to me that this is beta. I just wanted to report this, ask how 7 clients have been falsely detected and how i can avaid it (what I can't as you say).

Ah, i just checked - DHCP is not really 100% static. It is for my PCs but not for the one Laptop i got from a friend for repair. Here i have dynamic DHCP but it get's always the same IP (i believe DHCP leases are caltulated by IP-Range and MAC Adress - which doesn't change on all PCs). Lease Time is 1 day, for statics they expire on year 2147 ^^. So you think this could be a cause?

User accounts: 1 on all PCs (at lease active, for sure there is All Users, Default, Public - real Admin hasn't been created yet on these 2 machines running S&D)

What may also be important: I sometimes do use remote connections (LAN for HTPC, rarely WAN) and VPN (Privacy Surfing).

Quote Originally Posted by (m/f) View Post
    We have added this feature to Spybot - S&D 2 because we experienced that companies used our free software without authorization in networks with a multitude of installations. Since this is a beta, this feature will be changed during the process. For the moment, there is no way to avoid this popup directly. We are working on the process of how the number of clients in a network is calculated. Are your DHCP settings really static? Could you tell us how many different user accounts you have installed on your systems where Spybot is installed? We will also adjust the size of network, at which this warning will pop up. As already stated before, this is a beta and this is still a tested feature.
    yeah and thats why there are the licence terms that you agree to when installing. implementing such methods are not going to stop piracy, doesn't work for the gaming industry and it wont work for spyware app's.

i have not taken a very close look so far but its very worrying to see the application open a port on the computer then have repeated traffic.

trying to combat piracy is one thing but to possibly open up the computer to a security risk is negative to users.

diNovoM, thank you reporting this behaviour. This element is still in development. To be able to optimize this feature it will be helpful to have a look into your clientcount.ini file. We will be very grateful if you send us your clientcount.ini file via email to software@spybot.info.
    Your good cooperation is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by deborah View Post
    We will be very grateful if you send us your clientcount.ini file via email to software@spybot.info
    Done. Quite interesting what has been detected there. For example counting:
    HTPC detections: 4
    NB: 6
    Mixed (All): 10
    Mixed (Differences): 6-7 (depends on 1 entry without any information).

Btw. all have also 127.0.0.1 listed.

Thank you for your email.
    It will help us to improve this feature for the next Spybot version.

841 clients.. huh what
    here's what I got hooked up to my network
    Samsung tv.. no spybot there
    PS3.. nope
    NAS.. not hat I know
    1 PC.. yep spybot on that
    It also seems to slow my PC significantly

HI! All,

I have also experienced this message & even though I am behind a router firewall the product still detects multiple installations even though system only has one installation. The product seems to be detecting installations from across my ISP; not sure how it's doing that.

Tech83