Thread: CPU usage after update & reboot

Question CPU usage after update & reboot

Searched the forums & nothing found - so here goes:

Every week I update Spybot (version 1.6.2.0, sys settings protector 1.6.6.32). After downloading the update I Immunize and then reboot.

The CPU usage for Teatimer during that reboot runs at 50% for several minutes and then calms down. That CPU usage figure only occurs after an update, not every time I reboot.

This applies to both computers (below).

I'm just curious what Teatimer is so busy doing during that initial reboot after an update. Something good, I'm sure, but if someone could tell me what it's doing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    --------------------------------------------
    (1) XP Home SP3, IntelCore2Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8
    (2) XP Home SP3, IntelCeleron@1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8
    Wired Home Net

You can always consider reading this post by bitman, which explains everything you need to know about Spybot's CPU usage:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...93&postcount=4
    -
    Although, it does not talk about TeaTimer, I'm sure you can relate :D.
    Unless this CPU usage for a several minutes is becoming a major problem.

Esteemed Member

Actually, the issue in this particular case is a bit different, since the question is very specific about startup after an update.

The core issue here is that after an update, all running processes are scanned fully to look for items that may just have been added to the new detections. This used to occur every time Spybot S&D was started, but for obvious reasons this was modified to reduce overhead.

Of course, any new processes that are installed and started are scanned whenever they occur. This description is a bit rough, but I think you'll get the basic idea. If you want to know more, I know there was a much more complete discussion of this by PepiMK, the devloper of Spybot S&D and others a year or so back. I'm not certain of a title or even which forum it was in, though I'd have to guess the Beta forum or possibly here.

Bitman

@ Bitman

Thanks. That's all I really need to know.
    --------------------------------------------
    (1) XP Home SP3, IntelCore2Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8
    (2) XP Home SP3, IntelCeleron@1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8
    Wired Home Net