Thread: Teatimer causing registry startup problem

Unhappy Teatimer causing registry startup problem

I have been using Spybot Search & Destroy for over two years and generally am happy with it but a few weeks ago a weird problem started to seriously affect my computer. The teatimer.exe seems to go out of hand now. I tried to disable it in the advanced mode but it was enabled right away again. I tried to completely uninstall Spybot (deleted two directories and applied the registry patch provided on the site) and the teatimer.exe is still mysteriously hanging in my registry startup. Because of teatimer.exe, two programs can't be added to the registry startup and I can't delete or edit any sub-key or value in either HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. There are obsolete entries under those two startup keys and I can't do anything about it. I tried different software and command lines to modify the registry but it seems that the startup portion is beyond my reach. The strange thing is that I can modify all other places in the registry.

I am wondering whether there is any way that I can get rid of teatimer from my system permanently. I don't want to reformat my system or use the recovery console yet because it takes up too much time. If anyone knows how I can uninstall teatimer.exe completely, that will be really great. Thank you very much.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Since you seem to be having problems altering the \Run keys in the registry, you should be able to disable TeaTimer as follows:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • That should close TeaTimer.
    • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    • Rename or delete TeaTimer.exe. That should keep TeaTimer from executing at system startup in spite of the startup entry in the registry.

If that does not fix the problem with not being able to alter the \Run keys in the registry:
    1. Do you run any other anti-malware type software that prevents manipulation of the \Run keys in the registry?
    2. Have you checked the permissions on the following keys?
      • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
      • HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To check permissions on registry keys:
    • Use Registry Editor:
      • Go into Start > Run > Type regedit > click OK
    • Navigate to:
    • Right click and select Permissions…
    • Make sure that "Deny" is not checked for "Full Control" under the username that you are logged on to.
    • Repeat the operation for:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Unhappy still no progress: teatimer took over the registry

I tried to uninstall Spybot completely and made sure there was no file left in my system (of course, except for the teatimer.exe startup entry in my registry). It didn't fix the problem. I still cannot delete those obsolete or wrong entries.

I have also checked the permissions on those keys. I have full control over them yet I cannot do anything to them. It is really weird!

I do run Ad-Aware as well so I have Ad-Watch on my system. But I have never known any problem that is caused by ad-watch. It doesn't stop any registry from going in or out of my registry startup folders.

Any idea why I cannot disable or fully eliminate the EFFECT that teatimer.exe is having on my computer?? Even when I didn't have teatimer.exe on my system at all, something was stopping me from editing the registry startup folders, and only that part. Why can't I disable teatimer.exe anyway?

Thank you so much for your input. I am going to check ad-watch anyway. I have been quite stressed out by this problem. My friend is suggesting using recovery console and stuff but I have some reservation about that due to the time constrant (in case something worse were gonna happen).

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Since you seem to be having problems altering the \Run keys in the registry, you should be able to disable TeaTimer as follows:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • That should close TeaTimer.
    • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    • Rename or delete TeaTimer.exe. That should keep TeaTimer from executing at system startup in spite of the startup entry in the registry.

If that does not fix the problem with not being able to alter the \Run keys in the registry:
    1. Do you run any other anti-malware type software that prevents manipulation of the \Run keys in the registry?
    2. Have you checked the permissions on the following keys?

To check permissions on registry keys:
    • Use Registry Editor:
      • Go into Start > Run > Type regedit > click OK
    • Navigate to:
    • Right click and select Permissions…
    • Make sure that "Deny" is not checked for "Full Control" under the username that you are logged on to.
    • Repeat the operation for:

Thumbs up I found out about the problem

Hey thank you so much! Your question about other anti-malware software was like a light bulb above my head. I did forget that one of the ad-watch options was to lock start-up section. I unlocked it and my registry keys were fixed. Thank you so much!

Default Still not fixed

I still cant fix this problem, I have tried changing the permissions of the root key and its children and everything but to no avail. I have spybot S&D running, but it gives the errors regarding the .disabled key and all the others when I install it. I did once have adaware installed but not any more, should I reinstall it to get a fix to this issue?

:(