Hello all,

I'm a long-term user of Spybot SD and many other security programs. However, on my latest computer I declined to install any of these or a proper firewall; my one redeeming feature was my use of AVG AV. I had believed that due to my none-usage of P2P etc. on this machine that the risks were minimal.

Unfortunately, my confidence was to be unfounded. Having helped a friend with the security centre malware, I myself have become the victim somehow.

I think I've picked up a trojan or some form of malware. I've left the computer running and not restarted it as from past experience it seems to merely make the problem worse if it is a trojan/malware. I'm unable to open explorer, run task manager or run any other .exe's. AVG isn't working, and I'm unable to download anything as anything I've d/ld has disappeared from the folder instantaneously. I've d/ld MBAM onto a stick from my other system, but it cannot be run - regardless of the .exe, I always get the same message -

"Illegal operation attempted on a registry key which has been marked for deletion."

I've read some bits and pieces on this forum, and tried d/lding silent runners onto the stick and running it - it does run, but then is unable to work out which OS I'm using as the WMI is corrupted.

Sorry to add yet more malware problems to everyone's plates, but if someone could help, I'd be much appreciative. I'd also pledge not to be so boneheaded and overconfident in future and take more precautions like I used to.