Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot hangs after loading

Yes, it's a desktop model. I'll get the model number when I get home, then. And sorry about stringing this information out like I have been... I realize it's probably kind of annoying for you. =/
    I can usually be found on Wikipedia under the username Dinoguy1000

Here's the model number: 1L96CYS2TA56

Esteemed Member

Actually, that looks more like a serial number.

The model number should be something like 4 digits, probably near the Compaq Presario name, though it could be anywhere. Most likely it's a 5000 series unit like a model 52xx or 58xx.

This is based on information I found at hp.com, which acquired Compaq a few years ago.

Bitman

You're right, that was a serial number (poor lighting played tricks on my eyes =P ). I completely unhooked the computer and looked it over very carefully, and a sticker on the back with the voltages listed also said "Series CM 1001" - I'm assuming that's the series/model number, it sounds much closer to what you described.

I also opened it up to blow the dust out, and while I was in there, I pulled a couple pieces of info from the motherboard: one was a sticker with a barcode which had "*L9064*" above the barcode (in pretty big print, so I'm assuming it's an important number), and the other, printed directly along one edge of the motherboard, was the text "Replace with Compaq spare 120694".

I'm hoping at least *one* of these is enough for you to figure out what I have now. =)

Esteemed Member

I'm unable to find any specific information for a CM 1001, though there is a little out there. To make sure we aren't chasing a ghost, take a look at this document explaining how to find a Model number on a Compaq Presario.

How Do I Find My Model Number?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=416412

I'd expect the Presario name to be listed near the number like is shown in the pictures.

I think the CM 1001 may just be a general series number rather than a specific model. I'd really expect the true model number to be on the same label as the serial number nearer the top in most cases.

Bitman

No dice - I carefully reviewed every sticker on the case when I had the computer unplugged, and there's nothing coming even close to any of the stickers mentioned in the link you provided me. There is an SKU number on the same sticker as the serial number I gave you previously, but I don't think that's it either (if it actually is, feel free to shout at me for wasting so much of your time =) ).

In addition, this computer used to have a cover over the CD/DVD drive slots (it actually only shipped with a CD(-R?) drive, though), which may have had the model number on it, but that cover was removed at some point (probably by myself; feel free to shout even more now) and I have no idea what may have happened to it since then. However, this computer also has a floppy and ZIP drive, and the bottom of the front has a serial port (I think) and two USB ports (if any of that helps narrow the list at all). I'd take pictures and upload them for you if I could, but I have no way to do so. =(

Esteemed Member

OK, let's try a different approach then, since there's little information about the CM 1001 anywhere and none that I can find on the HP site, which now owns Compaq.

Take a look at the picture on this page, does it look like your PC?

COMPAQ PRESARIO Tower Computer
    http://www.jlaenterprises.net/index....roducts_id=368

If not, does this Compaq Presario model look more like it (small picture on right)?

Compaq Presario 5240 Desktop PC
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&lang=en&cc=us

The Series 5000 models have specs similar to your PC, including zip drive and hard drive capacity, but may be a parallel model series to the CM 1001.

I can find none of the specific information you've provided on Compaq or HP sites.

Also, if you are willing to open the case and remove just one of the three RAM DIMM modules that should be found there, you could get all the numbers directly off of these to see if we can find them online. That may allow us to identify memory type better than by model.

Bitman

Nope, neither one looks the same, although it is the same color as the tower in the first image. Also, my computer only has two RAM modules, not three (but there are three RAM slots on the motherboard).

Esteemed Member

OK, that means you've got a 64MB and a 32MB module, the 64MB is probably in the 'first' slot so that would be the best to look at.

Since we've got no real grasp of the system itself, the only way is to get all the numbers off of the RAM stick(s) and try to cross reference them at HP or elsewhere online. If you aren't comfortable with this, you'd have to find either a friend or computer store that is and it's possible they might have the RAM available themselves.

The real problem is we won't be absolutely certain what the maximum RAM capacity is, though I'd expect it to be similar to the Series 5000 units from the same era based on your 450MHz AMD processor.

To be safe, we could just try to find the 64MB modules like the one you already have, since we know this works and two more would at least give you 192MB - 4MB for video, which is more than double your current capacity.

Bitman

Sorry about not replying before; I haven't had the time to do this yet. It looks, though, like you're recommending I buy more RAM... I really don't want to sink any money into this computer, though, and as I've said before, Spybot *used* to work on it just fine; it was only after updating that I had problems.