I might be finding the option settings to do thus when I use S & D. Here is my story and suggestion.
1. When running my PC ,before the motherboard went out, (Win XP Pro, AMD 2500+, 1.2 GB ram, 40GB HD), I partitioned the HD into 2 parts, the 2nd being documents and personal files. Every time I ran S & D, it would check all files on both partitions. I could not find the option to check only the first partition and not areas which I knew were not contaminated. They had different drive letters. (C, I, J )
2. This suggestion has to do with the same area.
After the motherboard quit, a friend allowed me to use a PC he just removed from a network he supports. (Celeron 700, 500 ram, 9.6 GB HD) I took the HD from the 1st PC and connected it via USB external case to the 2nd PC. My idea was to use S & D to scan the 1st drive, to insure it was clean. S & D I was concerned about programs running, maleware, spyware, etc. that could take down my 2nd PC or its motherboard. The 2nd drive appears as a new drive letter when I go to My Computer.
If I right click on the drive, I can choose to check ONLY THAT drive with Ad-Aware and not the whole computer. How do I do that with S & D? The right click feature would be nice.