Thread: Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials

Hello,

I'm waiting for my new laptop to arrive (I'll be using it to supplement my desktop PC, not to replace it) and in the meantime exploring the security measures I might put on it. Of course I want to put Spybot on it but I'm entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7, and I want to ask if there is anything special I need to know or do about Spybot and Windows 7.

Also, Microsoft is eliminating Windows Defender and replacing it with Microsoft Security Essentials. I was on their website the other day, and from the way the forum officials describe it, it looks like MSE is very aggressive about being in sole charge of the computer's security. Not only do they warn you against having two antivirus programs running at the same time, I even found a post recommending against using something like Spybot on an on-demand basis!

On my PC I've been running Norton 360 alongside Spybot with resident SDHelper and TeaTimer (but not Immunize) since I bought it in December -- without any problems or conflicts. I use Windows Defender on-demand as a third layer of defense. On my new laptop I can keep the same setup, except for replacing Defender which apparently they're getting rid of, but I am loath to rely on just one program as the MSE folks want.

What's the view like from this side of the mountain? Can I run Spybot alongside Microsoft Security Essentials, or is MSE so selfish and demanding that I should just stay away from it?
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2009-10-15 at 19:18. Reason: changed reply notification rule