Thread: Spybot, HJT, and MalwareBytes won't run

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot, HJT, and MalwareBytes won't run

Hi!

I asked for help in a different forum a few days ago, but nobody ever responded, so I'm asking for help here as well.

I'm trying to help my mother with her laptop. I'm certain it has some nasty malware on it. I realize that I really need help with this.

Windows Media Player and some other apps will no longer run.
    If I right-click "copy" a file/folder, "paste" is no longer an option in a right click menu. Drag and Drop is also not possible.
    I tried logging off and logging into the other Windows User account, but it won't allow me to switch users. Also, I can't access "Users" in Control Panel. It opens, but remains blank.

Avast had not been updated in a while as she is on a dial-up and doesn't really go online much. Avast would no longer run. I downloaded it to a connected computer and moved it (and some other anti-malware apps, inucluding MalwareBytees with newest rules) to the infected computer using a flash drive. I was able install and run an Avast scan, which did remove 3 incidents of what it reported as "Win32 tro-gen".
    I did a registry repair and rebooted.
    I tried to install Dr.Web CureIT, which ran a scan and reported that it moved infections into quarantine, but didn't give me a report.It then would no longer run again.
    I tried to install and run MalwareBytes and started getting this error: "Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

I followed the instructions in this thread, http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...amp;#entry34171, but I get an error when I try to run "SubInACL" and the .bat returns with errors in the command line too: "subinacl" is not recognized as an internal or external command."
    Spybot installs seemingly with no problems and I added the latest rules as well, but then when I attempt to run it, it begins the scan then disappears. Same thing happened when I installed and ran HijackThis. Now neither will even open a second time.

Can you help at all?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer, Barbara

Windows XP Home with SP2
    ======================
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...howtopic=28107
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-10-19 at 17:50. Reason: Added link