Thread: possible symantec teatimer alert

Angry possible symantec teatimer alert

I just had a Teatime alert that a program supposedly used by Symantec (Live Update program) wanted to change the registry. The program is called LUsetup.exe

Just before and during this alert, my computer went into frantic activity, for no reason. I was looking at an unrelated website at the time, one that (as far as I can tell) was perfectly safe. I have security options turned on in my browser and none of them kicked in at the time.

With my computer red light flashing away, I quickly went CTRL ALT DEL but there was nothing running except the web browser and the teatimer alert. So I don't know what was causing this.

That concerned me slightly as I've heard that various viruses try to conceal themselves by changing Virus programs so as to remain undetected by them. I refused to allow the registry change but I suspect this alert will keep coming, and IF it's bona fide (from Symantec) my Live Update program won't function properly.

There is nothing about this on the Symantec site. Does anyone have details on this possible bug?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is another thread were two members experienced TeaTimer pop-up dialogs associated with LUSetup.exe. Since I do not run Symantec/Norton and have never personally encountered the message, the only thing that I can do is point you to that thread and see if it makes sense to you and helps:

ps: Since you are the at least the third person that has questioned registry changes associated with LUSetup.exe, feedback on anything that discover would be appreciated.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.