Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NoTrayItemsDisplay Error

Default NoTrayItemsDisplay Error

Hello,

Today when I updated SpyBot and ran it, I got the following warning.

\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoTrayItemsDisplay [is not]W=0

It states this is a registry change.
    I Google the warning and found a few pages but they did not have a definite answer. A few suggested that PowerToys or similar programs could cause this. I have not changed anything on my system. The only change that I know of has been the update to SpyBot and AVG.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello,
    I have spent another 4 hours trying to track this down and I still can not find a definite answer. I am not very computer knowledgeable so any suggestions as to what this might be would be appreciated.

Thank you.

This hides the icons in the notification area,if it is set to a value data of 1.
    There's a description here:
    Remove Tray Items from Taskbar
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/983/

This is probably just a security warning from Spybot.If you can remember the name of what was found and post it,I can probably find Spybot's description of the detection for you.I haven't been able to locate it without the name.
    Or,you can click the arrow over to the side after a scan to see the description.

So,is the area over by your computer clock blank,with no icons/tray items?And did you set it up to be that way,either by editing the registry,or using an application to set it that way,etc.?

Thank you for replying to my question.

I have to copy this from one system to another as the internet for the computer in question in down.
    In red letters it states the following:
    Microsoft.Windows.System (left side)

1 entries (right side)
    SecurityC

Below the red “Microsoft.Windows.System” is the following:
    [SBI $D76BD47D]Settings
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-152049171-839822115-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoTrayItemsDisplay (is not)W=0

Below the red “1 entries SecurityC” it states the following:
    Registry change

If I try to jump to the location, it just opens up the reg editor main page. Nothing is shown as to the location of this error. If I do a search I can not come up with the exact wording for “NoTrayItemsDisplay (is not)W=0.

I am the only user for this system and nothing was changed except the Spybot update and updating AVG from 8.5 to 9. All of my normal tray icons are by the clock.

Thanks again for the reply.

This is the only description I could find shown by Spybot:
    Registry changes about the Windows System.If this Item is beeing found, it does not necessarily mean an infection.Some Malware like CWS and Smitfraud variants change these settings.It is also possible that these settings have been changed by an administrator (if you have one) or by a legitimate software.Windows System Registry changes include Displaysettingmenus and Controlpanel.
    These Settings can normally not be reversed via the normal Windows User Interface.Some settings pose security risks and some are just annoyances.Also, some settings are redundant, meaning that they can be changed at various positions in the registry thus changing one value may not be enough.
    You can either allow Spybot to fix the detection or set it to be ignored.
    If you prefer to ignore it,please see here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/exclude.html
    It's best to pick Exclude this detection from further searches.

Thank you for answering my question.
    At this point I will exclude this in SpyBot and just keep an eye out for any other changes.

Ok,good.
    Before you exclude it,if you would like,you could try jumping to location after a scan,then when the Main regedit window opens,jump to location once again,and regedit should open at NoTrayItemsDisplay.Please don't edit it,but do you see NoTrayItemsDisplay as REG_DWORD under type,and do you see 0x00000000 (0) under Data?

Sorry it took so long to get back to this as I have been ill.

When I try to jump to location, it just opens up the reg editor to the main page. (the same as if you went to START, RUN, then type regedit)

If I do a regular search for NoTrayItemsDisplay, I will get multiple hits with the info you have asked about. (NoTrayItemsDisplay as REG_DWORD under type, and do you see 0x00000000 (0) )

Hope I understood you correctly.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by risoo
    Sorry it took so long to get back to this as I have been ill.
    No problem.
    Did you try jumping to location twice?That usually works for me.

And sorry,that was a typo,meant to post is it 0x00000001 (1) under Data?

It does not appear to matter how many times I try to jump to the location, it always shows the “start” page.
    If I manually go to “HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-152049171-839822115-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer”, there is no “NoTrayItemsDisplay (is not)W=0” in the registry.

When I do a manual search for “NoTrayItemsDisplay”, I get three hits; all of them have the following under the Data tab.
    00 00 00 00

Sorry for the confusion on my claiming the data numbers were the same. Again, the computer in question is not in the same area and I was going on memory.

Why would SpyBot show the full address in the error when the last part in not there?
    ( the “NoTrayItemsDisplay (is not)W=0”)

Thanks again for you help.