Thread: Hitting "Abort" when SP complained about advcheck.dll being read only

Default Hitting "Abort" when SP complained about advcheck.dll being read only

Hi,

Last night when I did a "Search for Updates" on my S&D, I get an error message saying that advcheck.dll is read only.

I hit "Abort" instead of "Retry" (according to another post I just read I should've hit "Retry"). Is there anything I can do at this point to correct it?

Many thanks.

My info:
    Windows Vista
    Spybot- Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46

Lightbulb

Hi ohanna,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Other threads describing this problem all say this read-only error occurs only when a user tries to perform a main update (e.g. from v1.6.0.30 to v1.6.2.46), however, you stated you have version 1.6.2.46 of Spybot installed which is the latest version, so your problem is slightly baffling!

I looked in my Spybot folder and couldn't find any sign of an 'advcheck.dll'. Could you try looking for an 'advcheck.dll' in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy?

Regards,

honda

File: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll
    Size: 1168216 bytes
    File Version: 1, 6, 5, 20
    Modified: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 10:14:08 AM
    MD5: AD1EA59C74D873AC22FB839B8E3E97F7
    SHA1: C11C329623D680E5BE126EC3B63DB1A49BADB693
    CRC32: 7B2C0372

is a hidden file. I had to log in as an Administrator, and change the settings in Windows Explorer to view hidden/system files.

In the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates folder, there is a file advcheck165.zip dated 11/11/2009 which contains advcheck165.exe and an .ini file. Evidently this advcheck165.exe is a self extracting executable which will update the file.

@Gopher John
    Unchecked hide hidden files, but failed to uncheck hide protected operating system files.

ohanna,

In my advcheck.dll's properties, the file is marked as read-only, although of course, I don't receive the error that you do.

Try this:

1. With Spybot closed, navigate to your C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.
    2. Go to Folder Options (Tools -> Folder Options) and in the view tab click the radio button 'Show hidden files and folders' and 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'.
    3. Click Apply and OK.
    4. Right-click advcheck.dll and click on properties.
    5. In the 'General' tab, under the 'Attributes' section, uncheck 'Read-only'.
    6. Click Apply and OK.
    7. Then open up Spybot and attempt to update.
    8. Post back to see if this helps.

Note. It is recommended you then go back to Folder Options and re-hide hidden files/folders and protected operating system files.

Regards,

honda

Quote Originally Posted by honda12 View Post
    @Gopher John
    Unchecked hide hidden files, but failed to uncheck hide protected operating system files.
    honda
    Blame it on my incomplete instructions.