Thread: Spybot exits program on scan. Reinistall no work.

Default Spybot exits program on scan. Reinistall no work.

I have Spybot installed and have had no problems, it always worked great. Then I ran into some serious websites that trashed my system. I could not navigate the problems so I reset windows to a prior restore point.
    Now, for whatever reason, Spybot runs fine for everything but doing a scan. I can go in, look around, but when I sheck for problems the program just terminates.
    I know I have something going on with the PC because it occasionally does a lot of clicking inside like something is running, and when I disconnect the internet connection from the router its stops. So I have something hiding and running, but I'm not sure what.

So here's what I'm trying to do. I would like to completely take spybot off, and do a reinstall. But the install falls over because the uninstall is not clean. I think that's how I ended up betwix and between with a setup that doesn't scan.

I'm running a resonably new Dell with windows xp professional edition.

How can I take spybot off, and clear out everything so a new install will go clean and get me back to my safe world again.

Be gentle, I'm new on the forum.
    Help me help me, I'm melting..... melting.....mel..

You could try deleting the Spybot folder:

c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

then try re-installing.
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Default Been there, done that...

I tried deleting the folder, but it's as if the install is running into keys that are set up wrong in the registry or something. It installs the all the software but then it exhibits the same behavior.
    Help me help me, I'm melting..... melting.....mel..

Is the program up-to-date?

spybot version 1.4
    newest definitions
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

bbgun:

If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See "this very small fix" in the following article:
    To remove Spybot-S&D registry entries:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.