Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast browser turned slow after adding S&D Host file

Default Fast browser turned slow after adding S&D Host file

My browser was fast and right after I added the S&D host file, all of that wonderful speed turned into a thing of the past. IE8 with all windows updates to a very powerful system with a high speed cable internet connection. Why is this?

Hi

did you already read this information?

Moreover, there are lots of threads in this subforum. Search a little bit and tell us what you've found out.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

The first thing that I found out is that the link for the update is broken on the page. The update that you pointed me towards is also not available to me through windows update.
    So now IE 8 is both slow as well as crashing to an unresponsive state when I attempt to use the update link on the S&D page.

Angry

I cannot believe that there is not anyone who can provide the answer to this. I played hide and seek at the request of the other poster but it proved redundant based on the fact that I don't have everyone elses issues. I just have mine.

My browser is crippled since installing this host file, not "slow starting". It took the link to the Microsoft article( which is useless because there is no download on the page for the update), provided by S&D, 18 minutes to load and was not functional after it finally did load.

Since it has not proved helpful playing hide and seek, if there is anyone who knows how to fix this, please respond if you don't mind. I have been using S&D since it the early days and have yet to experience this kind of issue. Thanks
    Last edited by Lavitakus; 2009-11-30 at 04:07.

KB969897 is available via Windows Update. If you've already updated, Add/Remove Programs will (after checkmarking "Show Updates" at the top of the list) will list it as an update to IE8.

I have no problems with SpyBot S&D hosts file and IE8. You can always remove the SpyBot S&D hosts entries by unchecking everything except Hosts and clicking Undo at the top of the Immunize window. Then, if you still have speed issues, you can blame it on something else.

I do not have the update installed on my pc. It also does not offer the update KB969897 when I attempt to do a windows update.

I would like to keep the host file though. It's just a shame that the update that is discussed to be an assumed fix is not available to me.

I cannot even find it on their website which is really frustrating when you have to browse on a ruined ie8. 15 minutes for a web page to even load. Thanks, Spybot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...7c3-48a5-902e- finally loaded and I thought I was on a roll to perhapse fixing the mess but when I attempted to install the update, I got this message- the version of internet explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.

That's just lovely. I am running IE 8. This is simply rediculous.

Did you try using Windows Update?

If you mean instead of Microsoft update, then yes. Actually tried both. Which are the same as far as I know except for the additional software scan.

The irony is that I have had spyware get into my system before. It slowed my pc down to a fraction of what S&D has. Does anyone know how to contact the makers of S&D to address this? Not knocking the people who offer help at the forum but I have been using both Windows and S&D for years so I don't want to keep discussing stuff that would only be helpful to those who don't know a whole lot about computing in general.

Whatever update that S&D says is available for this error by S&D is not or is no longer available. As per the recent results of my windows update.

If it is only the immunized hosts file that seems to be slowing you down,you could check to see if this applies/helps:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Note