Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpyBot crashes while fixing problems... that don't get fixed.

Update: I tried a few fixes including running it in safe mode, but nothing works. The system scan freezes up instantly upon clicking fix

Default Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Garltok View Post
    Update: I tried a few fixes including running it in safe mode, but nothing works. The system scan freezes up instantly upon clicking fix
    Sorry for the repetitive posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts to consolidate them.

I found a solution, if I left the window unresponsive without stopping it after a time spybot would right itself and remove the threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Garltok View Post
    Sorry for the repetitive posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts to consolidate them.

I found a solution, if I left the window unresponsive without stopping it after a time spybot would right itself and remove the threats.

Hey Garltok.

Mine does the exact same thing every time that I try to fix errors. It isn't even finding anything malicious, its just coming up with tracing cookies and browser histories but when i hit fix it can take anywhere up to fifteen minutes to fix about 12 errors.

I would ask what the specs of your computer are in case you are using an older machine however mine is certainly not underpowered as it has some very high end specs and still locks up. I'm not running any other spyware or antivirus as i have the paid vesion of spybot that includes these functions.

I never had any dramas with spybot until i purchased the home license. Don't understand how the paid version of the software can do this when i have been using the free version for years without any issue or complaint.

Default Fix selected doesn't respond

My Spybot fix selected stopped working when I updated to Windows 8.1. Is there an update for compatibility or is there another problem?

There was a patch released with Spybot 2.2 and onwards for Windows 8.1,so it shouldn't be a compatibility problem:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ort-windows-8/
    That's for the Spybot 2 versions,I don't believe there was anything released for compatibility for the Spybot 1.6.2 version.Do you have Spybot 2.4?

I never had any dramas with spybot until i purchased the home license. Don't understand how the paid version of the software can do this when i have been using the free version for years without any issue or complaint.
    Don't feel as tho' you're alone!

I was running the free version for a couple of years - NO problems - THEN I bought the Home/Virus update for my desktop PC, and have immediately started getting "runtime error 217" - then discovered the exact same program crash every time I ran a system scan - found some cookies and one more serious issue, but the program crashed when I hit the FIX key...

Those 2 problems, PLUS the one when last Friday I (foolishly!) tried to also upgrade Spybot on my laptop PC, only to have the online Spybot licensing window refuse to display, AFTER I had already paid via Paypal!

No big deal there, after TWO supposedly but UNhelpful exchanges with Spybot reps TRYING to correct the licensing process, I've finally decided none of this is worth the heartburn and frustration (not to mention possible harm to other properly operating PC programs, or the OS itself!), and filed a dispute with Paypal and WILL get my purchase price refunded...

MEANWHILE, I've deleted the defective Home/Virus version from my desktop PC, reinstalled the free version, and will simply consider the lost purchase price on that PC as a "donation" for the free version I have gone back to...

NO, I really don't think the Spybot bunch are crooks - but I *DO* think they are incompetent!

Not REALLY sure which is WORSE!

I have the very same issue, SB locks up and is unresponsive in task manager

I disabled cookies and other apps and progs running even tried as suggested running in safe mode but I always get the same result, click on fix selected and it crashes.

SB offers great support in most cases but I cant understand why it crashes all the time.

The solution is to run the scan, press on the fix selected and leave for a few min, I then close the program completely and re-scan, after the re-scan it works flawless, so idk what you guys think.

I would love to hear of a better solution.

The solution is to run the scan, press on the fix selected and leave for a few min, I then close the program completely and re-scan, after the re-scan it works flawless, so idk what you guys think.
    Hey,thanks for posting that.Not ideal,I know,but it is something to try when others have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyk7gld View Post
    Don't feel as tho' you're alone!

I was running the free version for a couple of years - NO problems - THEN I bought the Home/Virus update for my desktop PC, and have immediately started getting "runtime error 217" - then discovered the exact same program crash every time I ran a system scan - found some cookies and one more serious issue, but the program crashed when I hit the FIX key...

Those 2 problems, PLUS the one when last Friday I (foolishly!) tried to also upgrade Spybot on my laptop PC, only to have the online Spybot licensing window refuse to display, AFTER I had already paid via Paypal!

No big deal there, after TWO supposedly but UNhelpful exchanges with Spybot reps TRYING to correct the licensing process, I've finally decided none of this is worth the heartburn and frustration (not to mention possible harm to other properly operating PC programs, or the OS itself!), and filed a dispute with Paypal and WILL get my purchase price refunded...

MEANWHILE, I've deleted the defective Home/Virus version from my desktop PC, reinstalled the free version, and will simply consider the lost purchase price on that PC as a "donation" for the free version I have gone back to...

NO, I really don't think the Spybot bunch are crooks - but I *DO* think they are incompetent!

Not REALLY sure which is WORSE!

im using the free edition 2.4 on windows 8.1 and it always freezes when i press the fix button in the footerm havent tried the the one on the left.

Default Spybot Crashes

Come on guys, we have said there is a problem but ive seen nothing in the comments that has a fix for the crashes.
    I have win 8.1 and im using SB 2.4 so there should be no compatibility issues, but click on 'Fix Selected' and it crashes without fail, ive tried all the suggested above and even manage to get to work on occasion but this is fast becoming a joke. We pay good money for a service, start earning it.