Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Opera 9

Hi.Sorry I didn't answer your questions,I just got home.

It was a clean install,using the newer MSI/InstallShield installer.(from before)

The older installer from http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=28174
    also was going to install to C:\Program Files\Opera\ during set-up by default,though I didn't carry through the install.(just now)

Saw the beta.I might check that out,later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    It was a clean install,using the newer MSI/InstallShield installer.(from before)

The older installer from http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=28174
    also was going to install to C:\Program Files\Opera\ during set-up by default,though I didn't carry through the install.(just now)

Saw the beta.I might check that out,later.
    THAT did NOT happen with the older Opera 9 installer on my WinME and WinXP machines. They point to \Program Files\Opera 9\ folder for the default. I bet more users may have that problem I have and they need to pay close attention to where Opera 9 is being installed.

so it looks like both of us get "different" outcomes when using Opera 9 installers.

Esteemed Member

noel-pr7: Did you try starting the installation using the older installer now that you have it installed in the Opera folder?

Could be it picks up the existing location from the registry or existing configuration (cfg, ini?) file if it can find it, otherwise it defaults to Opera 9?

This is exactly the problem with Spybot, since Opera keeps moving its location Spybot can't find it, so it assumes it's not there. Patrick posted about this about two revisions and a year ago.

At least now you understand the problem.

bitman,

I have just tested the Opera 9 Classic Installer [Opera 9 Classic Setup.exe] on my next-door neighbor's Win98se machine and it points to "Opera 9" folder instead of "Opera" folder AND it was a CLEAN install of Win98 SE. There were NO traces of Opera locations in the registry or any cfg, ini files. And when I tested the Opera 9 MSI Installer [Opera 9 Eng Setup.exe] on the same Win98se computer, it will install to "Opera" folder and not the "Opera 9" folder.

I may have to contact the makers of Opera 9 browser and request their older installer install in the Opera folder instead of Opera 9 folder in future releases of the Opera 9 browser.

But at least the newer installer for Opera 9 will put it in the Opera folder just like in previous versions of Opera.

anyways, I have already resolved the Opera 9 install problem on all my machines that have Opera browser installed. The creators of Opera 9 have made some major changes to the browser.

Yes,same here,clean install of Opera using the classic installer points to Opera 9 by default.

Could be it picks up the existing location from the registry or existing configuration (cfg, ini?) file if it can find it, otherwise it defaults to Opera 9?
    It was this.
    "Last Directory3"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\"
    Took that out,and the classic installer defaulted to Opera 9.I didn't delete Opera Software from the registry,the first time with the classic installer.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Opera Software]
    "Plugin Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\Program\\Plugins"
    "Create Desktop icon"="1"
    "Create Quicklaunch icon"="1"
    "Create Startmenu icons"="1"
    "Last Directory3"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\"
    "Last CommandLine"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\opera.exe"
    "Last CommandLine v2"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\Opera.exe C:\\Program Files\\Opera\\Opera.exe\""