Thread: Cannot even run DDS

Default Cannot even run DDS

Hi there,

I have some kind of virus infection that wont allow me to run any program on my Windows XP. I just downloaded DDS again but it wont run (even after I renamed the file, etc.). Cannot run Spybot or any other malware removal either. I keep getting windows messages such as:

"Application cannot be executed. The file dds.scr is infected. Do you want to activate your antvirus software now?"

and

"Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software..."

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hello chameckas and

My name is JonTom.

• Malware Logs can sometimes take a lot of time to research and interpret.
    • Please be patient while I try to assist with your problem. If at any time you do not understand what is required, please ask for further explanation.
    • Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
    • Read every reply you receive carefully and thoroughly before carrying out the instructions. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive, as in some instances you may have to disconnect your computer from the Internet.
    • PLEASE NOTE: If you do not reply after 5 days your thread will be closed.

• Please be aware that I am still in training, and all of my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advice.
    • This may cause a delay in response time, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
    • I will reply back shortly with instructions.
    Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

Hello chameckas

Before we begin, lets try this:

1. exeHelper

• Please download exeHelper by clicking here and save the file (called exeHelper.com) to your desktop.
      • Double click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
      • A black window should pop up. Press any key to close once the fix is completed.
      • Post the contents of log.txt (it Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com).
      • NOTE: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

2. DDS

• Are you able to run DDS now?
      • If the answer is yes, please scan your system, save the log, then work your way through the steps for running GMER (below).
      • If you are still unable to run DDS after running exeHelper, come back and let me know.

3. Please scan your system with GMER

Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
      • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
      • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
      • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Click the image to enlarge it
      • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
        • IAT/EAT
        • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
        • Show All (don't miss this one)
      • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
      • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
      • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.

**Caution**
      Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

If DDS and GMER are now running, please post the logs created, otherwise let me know and we will try something else.

Do you still need help?

chameckas this thread has been archived due to inactivity.

As it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to which you did not reply, your topic will not be re-opened. If you still require help, please start a new topic and include a DDS log with a link to your previous thread.

Please do not add any logs that might have been requested previously, you would be starting fresh.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start your own topic.

Thank you JonTom.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016