Thread: virus stops virus scan at windows folder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default combofix.exe

I even search all their executables and there was no combofix.exe I found it on other websites, just not sure where a safe place to get it is.

Emeritus- Malware Team

If you are trying to do this on the infected PC, the Malware is probably blocking you. Here are the direct links. But you may need to get there on a clean PC. Then copy the .exe file over.

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    IndiGenus

Default AFA Filter

Here's another twist. I uninstalled my AFA internet filter because I was only able to be on for about 5 minutes at a time and part of that time was spent restarting my filter so I could use the internet. So after I uninstalled the filter the computer didn't shut down on it's own except for a couple times. (Believe me, that's nothing when the thing had been shutting down every 5 minutes.) I was able to run the whole AVAST scan and it found nothing. So then I downloaded Spybot and ran it and it cleaned up a bunch of things but told me I had 2 things left it needed to clean up when the computer restarted. I was doing all of this in safe mode until I downloaded Spybot. I was sure it was a virus so was surprised that AVAST found nothing. Spybot never got through the 2nd scan though. It was late and I just shut down the computer. Should I still try to use combofix if I can?

Emeritus- Malware Team

Default Please follow the instructions as given

I was sure it was a virus so was surprised that AVAST found nothing.
    That doesn't mean anything. If a rootkit is present Avast, or most any AV, will see nothing.

Unless absolutely needed please don't make any other system changes while we're trying to clean this. That's like hitting a moving target for me as I can't see what's going on. If you're not able to follow the instructions given, then report back as to what happened and why.

So the answer is still yes, please run combofix and post the log.
    IndiGenus

Default combofix

okay, sorry to make things more confusing, I will try to get to combofix and run it. thanks

Emeritus- Malware Team

Quote Originally Posted by JarJar View Post
    okay, sorry to make things more confusing, I will try to get to combofix and run it. thanks
    ....my hope is that will make things much easier for both of us.
    IndiGenus

Default combofix

combofix went through the steps like in the pics provided except it only got to stage 10 or so when it shut down. I saw just now there are supposed to be 50 steps. Do I run it again? I guess I have to or you won't have a log to look at?